Interesting Derby article

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

It’s always more fun and rewarding to view the cat still in the bag, before the escape, before it gets out and exposes its talent to the scrutiny and the attention of the world.

Still in the bag, Old Fashioned offered a glimpse Nov. 3, when he won by 15 1/2 lengths at Delaware. But Saturday, he jumped out, danced the Boogaloo and sang the largo al factotum aria from “The Barber of Seville,” winning the Remsen at Aqueduct by more than seven lengths.

“It sure looked like it wasn’t a strenuous effort for him,” his trainer, Larry Jones, said today, “and he came back to the barn like it wasn’t a big deal.”

But that, of course, was a big deal. A handsome gray colt who moves over the ground like a breeze, Old Fashioned jumped to the top of a list of Triple Crown prospects. -- or rather he jumped out to a longer lead among a group of personal favorites, for indeed he was already at the top.

In winning the Remsen, he completed the nine furlongs in 1:50.33, a solid clocking on a day when the Aqueduct surface wasn’t especially fast. Springside won the Demoiselle in 1:51.71. But the most impressive thing about Old Fashioned’s victory was the its style, the stunning combination of ease and domination. While steadily drawing away from the field, and with little encouragement, Old Fashioned ran the final three-eighths of a mile in 36.15 seconds.

Old Fashioned will soon join the Jones horses at Fair Grounds in New Orleans. And it’s “more than likely,” the trainer said, that Old Fashioned will make his 2009 debut Feb. 7 in the Fair Grounds’ Risen Star Stakes. But Jones has other promising youngsters in his barn, including Friesan Fire, an A. P. Indy colt who ran fourth in the Nashua, and It Happened Again, a flashy maiden winner at Philly Park, and in an effort to keep them apart, the trainer will keep some, he said, in New Orleans and run some at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark.

Old Fashioned wasn’t the only cat to escape this weekend at Aqueduct. Quality Road, a bay colt who has speed and athleticism and who looks like he’s flowing as much as running, won his debut by nearly three lengths in a very good maiden field. A son of Elusive Quality, Quality Road ran the 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:16.11, a fast time for the day.

And at Churchill, Silver City won an allowance race in such a way as to suggest he could develop into somebody special. With jockey Miguel Mena looking over his shoulder, Silver City ran the 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:15.98. The only other race at the distance Saturday was run in 1:17.44. Silver City is another who’s going to New Orleans and will probably make his next start in the Sugar Bowl Stakes or the LeComte.

The featured race at Churchill was, of course, the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes, where Beethoven won. But, frankly, I was much more impressed with Giant Oak, who rallied five-wide and finished second, only a neck behind the winner, who had a perfect rail trip.

And so while faithful to the position that cats are best viewed in a bag, I’ll offer these Ten for the Triple Crown. It’s a highly personal list, and I’m not suggesting these are the top ten prospects – I intentionally exclude those such as Midshipman and Vineyard Haven who will take the Dubai road to the Triple Crown -- nor do I suggest they’re still in the bag since Break Water Edison and Hello Broadway are well known and since I’ve already written about some of them at length, such as Old Fashioned and Indygo Mountain. But these are 10 that have grabbed my interest, shaken it by the lapels and screamed, “You haven’t seen anything yet.” (When quoting horses, I take the liberty of cleaning up their grammar. They actually said, “You ain’t seen nothing yet.”)

1. Old Fashioned
2. Break Water Edison
3. Hello Broadway
4. Indygo Mountain
5. Pioneerof The Nile
6. Quality Road
7. Well Positioned
8. Giant Oak
9. Trinity Magic
10. Silver City

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited December 2008
    I Like To Wait To See Who The Duel Qualifyer Are Even Though They Have Not Done Much In The Last Couple Years But Usually You Can't Throw Them Out In Races Down The Road Such As Last Years Tale Of En-tack-eee / Court Vision / And The Cal Horse Colional John? Also The Way The Overseas Horses Ran In The Breeders Cup I Think Their Holding All The Aces. But We Got Nick Zito
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Trinity Magic is entered @ Delta tomorrow night, btw.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    I Dont Think He Is A Serious Contender For The First Sat In May Do U Something Ill Say About The Race That Dosent Make Sense To Me. Assmusens No 1 Rider On Retap I Have Seen Assmusen Ride A Lot Of Riders Never Calvin Borel In My Life Very Strange And The Horse Is 8 To 1 On Morning Line Why Another Thing All Breeders Cup Horses Have Run Awful There Next Start Look At Retap At A Price. Just A Thought .really Like Livin Lovin In The Filly Race She Has A Lot Of Talent She Was Really Green At Aqueduct In The Tempted And Drew Away With Ease If Any Price.