Free selection from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Santa Anita - Race 8

#1 Into Mischief (2/1 ml)

Short morning-line here, but should clearly be a decent price in a field that includes Colonel John (on the cover of today's Racing Form, no less), Bob Black Jack, and Georgie Boy. He comes into this race off what was probably his career-best performance, simply running off and hiding from Georgie Boy who had been right on his heels turning for home, getting the last furlong of that 7-furlong race (today's distance) in a blazing 11 3/5. He didn't have an easy time of it either, having to veer out for racing room while making his move after another horse lugged out in front of him. Just went clear in a flash though, and as mentioned looked better-than-ever despite the long layoff. Should be even fitter for this one, and note those successive 7-furlong drills for Mandella, something i touched on when talking about the Mandella trainee Meteore the other day. Really a positive sign with this trainer. It's also worth noting that Mandella/Espinoza are completely willing to empty the tank today in order to win this one, as it's been announced that this will be Into Mischief's final career start before heading off to the breeding shed for 2009. Into Mischief should be fine trip-wise despite the rail draw, as he rated very kindly off the pace last time out (something Mandella had no doubt been working on while preparing this horse for his comeback), and he should be able to take back easily in this small field with Bob Black Jack shooting out to the early lead, likely being pressed in the early going by Golden Spikes (and perhaps even Guns on the Table). Really think a repeat of his last race is all he needs, but seems likely to improve here in the spot he's been pointed to all along. Looking for this one to go out with a bang.

HRT record:

50 for 168 (30%)

$428.90 mutuels ($8.58 avg)

Comments

• hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited December 2008
    Good luck to us!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I thought he ran extremely well. He just spotted Bob Black Jack too much ground. Kicking myself for not betting an exacta box.