D Cat what you think of Point Encounter?

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited December 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Did you see the 3rd at S. A. on Friday, Point Encounter looked strong IMO and we know he can run a route of ground on the breeding side.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I had him in the debut. Me and everyone else, I guess. Morning line 5/1 and he ended up paying $4.60. I had mentioned in my analysis that he had actually been bet down to 30/1 for the Derby (at Wynn) before even making his debut. Just goes to show how ridiculous Derby futures can be. More than anything I guess, I was struck by his size. Awfully speedy for such a big horse, and he seems to have a finish on him as well. Intriguing prospect for the Derby, obviously, but it's hard to get excited about a horse who will be offering zero value for the foreseeable future.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    I agree, the size of him for a 2 yo was impressive. The word was out big time on him every clocker in Cali had given him A on workout reports and he didn't disappoint. I'm done with futures after Eight Belles last year, won't waste another dime on them in my entire lifetime. One of the reasons he was so short opening up my partner laid into him for 20K W/P I only had a dime and dime. We couldn't believe the $4.00 for the place bet.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I had an Eight Belles future last year myself. I also took her to win the Derby @ 40/1 a few days before the race. She ran big, for sure.

No reason to lay off futures because of her, btw. You knew going in that there was a chance she'd run in the Derby. We talked about that right here on HRT early last year.