Hey Dunco, this is your kind of angle...

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from Pasadena Star-News:

Amazingly, Garrett Gomez returned to action Monday, less than 48 hours after that scary spill he was involved in Saturday during the Eddie Logan Stakes at Santa Anita. He rode four horses, earning $29,560 for two wins, a fourth and a last-place finish. His fifth scheduled mount in the seventh race was scratched.

He goes into Wednesday's final card of 2008 just $79,454 shy of Jerry Bailey's North American record for single-season earnings. Problem is, he's got only four mounts to pick up the necessary purse money. In order to pass Bailey, he needs to win the $70,000 Kalookan Queen Handicap aboard Baroness Thatcher and a $56,000 allowance race in which he rides Kyniska. He then must finish at least second in a $25,000 starter allowance or third in the starter allowance and at least second in the $10,000 claimer he'll ride in. Not impossible, and the courageous manner in which Gomez came back so soon after a scary fall makes you want to root for him to do it.

I think he'll come up short, but all bets are off for 2009. With a little luck, he'll be back threatening the record again and just might get it.

Comments

• joejoejoejoe Junior Member
    edited December 2008
    how about a new years present from our friend the cat
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited December 2008
    COME ON CAT MAN GOMEZ CAN WIN TODAY HE GOT NO TEETH TO SMILE FOR THE WIN PICTURE.:x-grin:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I believe Gomez breaks the record if he wins aboard Baroness Thatcher here.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited December 2008
    What A Let Down Too Bad . I Guess The Baroness Needed A Little Venom.