Gulfstream opens Saturday, January 3, with great jockey colony

TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Here is a list of the high profile jocks, which should produce some excellent payoffs as the racing will be extremely competitive

JR Velasquez
Edgar Prado
Cornelio Velasquez
Kent Desormeaux
Eibar Coa
Alan Garcia
Javier Castellano
Julien Leparoux
Jose Lezcano
Elvis Trujillo
Rene Douglas

Also for those interested the DRF is running a special on the Gulfstream and Santa Anita meets for $1 each you can get the basic form, for $1.50 each you can get the enhanced past performance edition

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    Can't Wait, One Of The Main Reason I Moved From Ny (upstate) To Florida I Am Only 50 Miles Away Got Sick Of Betting Ack-u- Duck. Years Ago. Good To See Garcia Came Down, And Lets Not Forget M. Cruz Who Is Riding At The Top Of His Game. Whole New Ballgame. Lets Get Ummmm!
  • edited January 2009
    TROTMAN nothing new there the jockey colony is always the best at gulfstream every winter....used to be bailey-day-krone-sellers during early 90-s..............but never forget that what makes good jockeys is good horses.........i have no respect for jockeys as a 35 year player,i have seen it all in this game.........you dont have to be good to be a jockey you have to be little................
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    :argue:Horses Are Stupid And A Dine A Dozen, Anybody That Dosn't Respect A Good Jock Will Never Be A Winner. Do You Think Smarty Jones And Big Brown And War Emblem Got Beat By The Other Horses It Was The Other Jocks In The Race That Got Him Beat. The Jock Makes All The Diffrence. If Bailey Was On Smarty Jones He Would Of Been A Triple Crown Winner Same With Afleet Alex. And Before Bailey Got Down To Gulfstream They Were All Bums Except Eye-bar And They Screwed Him For Protecting His Home Turf One Year They Sat Him Down For 120 Days (a 30 & 90 Day) FOR Rough Riding. He Show Them And Moved HiS Tack To Ny And Took $ Out Of Their Pockets.
  • edited January 2009
    I AGREE horses are stupid and there a dime a dozen in this country...were talking jockeys not the animal here..SECRETARIAT--ron turcotte any jock in america could have won on this horse it was all animal..SEATTLE SLEW--jean cruget all animal.....YOU mentioned afleet alex that was his tenacious heart and stamina that got him home that day,its not often a horse goes to his knees in the stretch and bounces up and wins....the reason you think jockeys are the key is you have never been in the business as my family has been and since you live in florida i will give you a few facts about my 10 years at calder ..i have seen eibar coa--cornelio velasquez--javier castellano--eddie castro--ramon dominguez-rene douglas---most of these jocks paid there dues at calder riding the 8 months of summer rains and finally after winning they move north..it was trainer timmy hills who got coa upto monmouth and had him riding first call...aqueduct in the winter is a bug boy hangout the horses are pretty much second and third tier caliber animals,if they were quality they would be competing in florida all winter or santa anita not n.y...lets remember the guys your idolizeing but lets not forget the ...PAT VALENZUELAS--CHRIS ANTLEYS--BILLY PATTINS--T.D. HOUGHTONS OH AND GARRETT GOMEZ FORMER CONVICT...these are riders who should have been barred for life....THE list goes on and on my friend its a dirty game controlled by the insiders...TWO THINGS have killed the game #1 OVER SATURATION OF RACING {THOUSAND TRACKS} #2 MEDICATIONS....after it took 20 years of research {JOKE} to determine that lasix did enhance the performance of a racehorse...WELL no shit....HOW sickening is it to open your racing form and if your track has 9 races that day with lets say 90 horses entered on the card 85 of them are on lasix and bute....ANSWER me this why when you see a maiden race with 12 two year olds entered and most are first time starters are they all on medications.???? {COBRA VENOM} thats was the best ever.....i suppose you also believe that the high percentage trainers that appear to be miracle men like {ASMUSSEN---LAKE---ONEIL--LEVINE} arent using illegal drugs that arent detected,if you do find a tall building quick.......i have played horses all over europe--hongkong--australia..i have seen it all pal trust me.....one of my favorite jockey memorys takes me back to golden gate fields in 1973..jockey johnny wilburn during the post parade falling off his horse and laying on the track ---he was so freakin drunk he couldnt stand up---good luck again handicapping jockeys....
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    it's a sad day when we who play the ponies every day...call them stupid!!!
    my uncle worked at los alamitos as a valet in 1971, i was 8 when i first
    went to the track, at 5 a.m. to see the work-outs. i met(shook the hands of)
    t.lipham-b.-adair(the master/bill shoemaker of quarter horse racing)
    j-creager-s-treasure-d.knight-d.cardoza-k-hart...guys who could ride and
    horse back. went to santa anita and fell in love with the great ack ack, cougar 2nd
    and saw west coast racing at its best 70's-80's......after the work-outs alot
    of the jockeys from los al would go to a cafe on walker street and ball road
    about a 1/2 mile from the track. and as a kid i would go with my uncle, i asked
    j. creager if he had a live mount going that night he said" son i have broken both
    legs and arms more than 3 times each, when i'am on a horse i'am trying to win,my
    life is on the line every 30 minutes".. i met lukas when he trained at los al..he had
    t.lipham as his 1st call rider. my uncle told my dad and i to bet a 24-1 shot trained by
    lukas, the horse won, paid $50.00, mr. lukas was walking back to the up-stairs escalators
    when i said thank's, he said to me" all you have to do in horse racing to win is listen"
    i looked at my dad and said what? my dad said well lukas had a 4-5,5-2, and a 24-1 shot
    in the same race, but he told your uncle to bet the 24-1 shot......jockeys on drugs.....they do
    the most damage to their own careers....p.val proved a dope fein can be your leading rider,
    he has more raw talent than any of those jockeys riding today in florida!!! his uncle mylo
    v. was a drinker in the 60's and 70's and my dad and his friends would tell him in the post
    parade " mylo are you drunk today, and he would say back"not drunk today baby...and go wire-
    to wire in a baby race at 15-1, as the fans would chant"not drunk today as he came down the
    land in front by 5 under hand boot and whip!!!!! there was a statement made any jockey could
    have ridden the triple crown winners in 73, and 77.....i think big red of 73 was the greatest of all
    times, but that bull-shit they sent out here in 77, as a triple crown champion, and he got his doors
    blown off by bill shoemaker and j.o. tobin....yes, seattle slew 1/9 and did not hit the board!! i was so
    happy that day at hollywood park. as far as drugs the 2008 breeders' cup told the story, no juice and
    horses from the u.k. got loose, and will be back to run over us again. about stupid animals i saw a
    race at del mar.....donald p. was riding modus d vendi, the horse won by 6 lenghts, while being pulled
    up took a bad step, jockey fell off, this horse ran all the way back to the winners circle and STOPPED!!!
    we all started clapping as they took photos of the winning horse with it's winning connections, minus
    the jockey!!!! i thing once a year fans should ride in a 5 furlong race, and i think we would all have
    a drinking problem, it's a tough career..all can't weigh 97lbs like the great bill shoemaker!!! and even
    he stood up in the kentucky derby!!!!!!
    as always.....good luck and good racing!!!!..stop knocking my heros.....jockey/horse lover for life!!!!
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    Boy Trot -man Did You Open A Can Of Worms. I Guess What I Am Trying To Say Is That There ARE Jocks That Are In Each Race That Are Smart And Know What Is Needed To Get There Horse Home Or To Prevent Another From Getting Home.
    A Horse Is Not Going To Rate,or Go Around Other Horses , Stay Tight To The Rail Or Even Run If It Wasn't For The Jock. As Stated I Only Follow The Best Jocks And Could Care Less About Tracks Thiink A 3k Purse Is Worth Risking A Life For. With Hose Racing There Are Two Sides Of The Fence. Owners Trainers Jocks & Horses, The Other Side Gamblers . First Side Must Keep The People On The Other Side Comming Back OR IT WILL ALL End,

SADDLE UP IT ALMOST POST TIME:x-smiley:
  • MaxWinnersMaxWinners Junior Member
    edited January 2009
    Interesting every day you question is it the Jockey, the Horse and in some case trainers. My belief is it is a combination of all three. A good horse with a bad jockey will lose a ton. A good jockey with a bad horse will lose a ton as well. Put a good jockey with a good horse and trainer and what do you have? 6/5 or less!!!
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    if i was a trainer, and told my jockey to take a horse back, and he did not follow my
    directions, he would never ride any of my horses again, jockeys do what they are
    told to do...all prep races are not just for grade 1 races. would most of us have
    our horse get beat at 2-1..so we could pop at 8-1? you know the answer
    we all like winners, belmont 2008, on the 1st turn, we all said ,what is kent doing?
    and now hope and wish for a triple crown winner in 2009....
  • edited January 2009
    TURFMAN ..im glad you had the oppourtunity to witness quality/class horse racing in ca. back in the 70-s as i did as well....the best grass rider was fernando toro,i saw shoe sandy hawley and the rest of the gang..racing was good everywhere then its the freakin pits now..and a dirty drug infested game from gamblers side -owners and trainers......the blue bloods of kentucky crapped there pants a few years ago when they found horses having sponges shoved up there noses..how about eclipse award winning apprentice jockey of the year jesus bracho.did you no he rode over a 1,000 mounts at calder recieving an apprentice allowance -weight off..then it came to the surface he had been a journeyman rider in south america for several years......the 2008 breeders cup went very well for me as a handicapper after all now that ca. has made synthetic/poly surfaces mandatory the turf horses tend to handle it extremely well...and since they have synthetic courses in england its even better for them..when the breeders cup shifts back to churchill downs or belmont it will be just like the past europeans will dominate the turf racing and our horses will dominate the main track races..good luck today pick a few winners....tomorrow i will tell you how i met and had coffee with steve cauthen at capanelle race course in rome 1988...
  • foz1210foz1210 Junior Member
    edited January 2009
    I agree with Maxwinners. I think it is a combination of all 3. All jockeys slow down horses. The good ones slow them down the least. The horse must have talent though and the trainer must know what they are doing too. The Foz Fozpicks
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    I Agree With Max Also But You Can Talk To The Trainer , And The Jock Can Tell The Trainer His Arm Hurts But The Horse Might Be Lame And Most Of The Time Nobody Knows Till After The Fact. Or Like I Posted Earlier A Jock Is Human And Can't Go From Cal To New York To Fairgrounds In Three Days And Give 100% Now-a Days It Expected From Them . I Guess We have The Hired Gun To Thank For That Pat All Day Every Day.In the days of Angel & his gang nobody came into New York and didn't go over the fence or forced into left field. and Mr. Gambler I hope your story is about why Steve left NY (he was young and cocky and was forced out by the gang) i'll tell a story about him back when he was a rookie up at Saratoga. (GOOD ONE)

gota love the game:x-smiley:
  • edited January 2009
    GOOD MORNING all you fellow degenerates...NICE opening day at gulfstream yesterday--delightful kiss with a nice close in the hals hope....WE named pat day years ago "THE HUMAN ANCHOR" as soon as the gate opened he tossed the anchor out...DUNCO to answer your question about why steve got ran out of saratoga i dont no but you can tell me i look forward to hearing it..I drove from naples up the coast on a sunday morning in 1988 as they were having 5 big stake races at capanelle racetrack..since i had never been there before i left early in the morning and found the track around 10.00am-post time was at 2.00pm..i parked my car walked into the track to take a look and find the paddock area etc..{THE TRACK WAS EMPTY} while sitting on a bench with italian racing in form in hand i see two guys coming my way with suitcases in hand i recognised steve and trainer john gosden..i went up and shook hands with steve and the trainer and we discussed the status of the filly he would be riding in the stake race {6 MONTH LAYOFF}.the trainer told me she should give a great showing of herself today as she had been working great in england..TO make a long story short i went shopping for odds at the bookie stands and got cauthens mount locked in at 7/1 odds..he won by 3 lengths that day.also while talking with steve earlier that day he mentioned his family in kentucky loved a horse called EASY GOER....i go to saratoga every summer for 2 weeks my best friends all live in the troy--watervliet--clifton pk. areas..3 years ago pletcher and velasques destroyed betting the 2 year olds there as he was winning with babys at a 60 percent clip--with average odds of 3/5---8/5 at best..he won so much i couldnt bet half the races as there was no value......MEDICATION ISSUE LASIX....on new years day at 7 major tracks in america a total of 662 horses were entered......635 were on medications....27 were without medications.......just something to think about.....YESTERDAY i got my entry form and brochure from the orleans for there world series of handicapping tournament in feb.... all right you sickos have a good day and as one famous american always says "MAY THE HORSE BE WITH YOU " h.p.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    Good Story Gambler Man What A Small World We Live In I Lived 5 Mile From Troy For 54 Years Just Moved To Florida Last Year . About The S. Cauthen Story I Think I Shouldn't Post Across The Web Some Of The Facts Might Have Been (how Do You Say It ) Ex-zag-jerated. .My Lawyers Brother In Law Was Mike Veniza?( A.K.A.The Bag Man ) Rest In Peace. Loved Those Days