Barbaro's younger brother nearing his first career start

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Nicanor, a full brother to ill-fated 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) winner Barbaro, is steadily progressing toward his career debut.

On December 28 at Palm Meadows Training Center, Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s homebred three-year-old Dynaformer colt drilled three furlongs from the starting gate in :36.50 handily for trainer Michael Matz. The workout ranked second of 15 timed moves at the distance.

“He hadn’t broken from the gate in a while,” Matz said. “He is quite good at the gate and he’s doing fine. If everything continues to go well he should be starting at the end of the month.”

Nicanor has been breezing steadily since November. Out of multiple graded stakes-placed winner La Ville Rouge, by Carson City, the bay colt has developed a strong following before even making his first start. Many of the same devoted fans who followed every update on Barbaro’s battle for survival after he broke down in the 2006 Preakness Stakes (G1) have actively followed the progress of Nicanor and his two-year-old full brother, Lentenor.

Matz said he sees some similarities between Nicanor and Barbaro, who never lost a race he finished and won graded stakes on turf and dirt.

“They both have individual characteristics at this point,” he said. “They are two different types of horses. Nicanor does look like he could do well on any surface we want to run on. That’s similar. He’s looking like a competitive horse, but he obviously has some big shoes to fill. We will just keep taking it in stride.”

Barbaro won his first three starts on turf by a combined 20 1/4 lengths, including a romp in the Laurel Futurity and a visually impressive Tropical Park Derby (G3) score. His talent transferred to the main track as Barbaro reeled off victories in the Holy Bull Stakes (G3) and Florida Derby (G1) at Gulfstream Park prior to the 2006 Kentucky Derby.

Barbaro accelerated effortlessly clear in the Derby and drew off to a 6 1/2-length romp, the largest margin of victory in 60 years. He shattered his right hind leg at the start of the Preakness Stakes (G1) two weeks later.

Barbaro’s fight for survival in the days, weeks, and months following a grueling six-hour operation to stabalize the limb led by Dean Richardson, D.V.M., chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania’s veterinary school, turned him into a national icon.

Barbaro subsequently developed acute laminitis in his left hind foot in July 2006. He recovered sufficiently to graze outside and go for daily walks that fall, but his hoof wall separated from his laminitic hind hoof on January 9, 2007, and within three weeks he began to shows signs of laminitis in both of front feet. Without a healthy foot on which to stand, Barbaro was euthanized on January 29 at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    THANKS...........a good post i will add to my stable alert and check work outs......
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    How About A Little Info. I Only Live 10-15 Miles From Palm Meadows ,just Moved Here From The Sartoga Area In Ny ,i Have Drove By Palms Meadows But Never Stoped Do They Let People In Or Is It A Closed Area ? Thanks
  • rumplerumple Member
    edited January 2009
    I love Barbaro, but I have to fade Nicanor in his first start if hes getting alot of money.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    FB might be able to fill you in. It's a training center, so it might not be accessible without some kind of pass. Good question...
    edited January 2009
    Btw, there's another training center down there called Palm Beach Downs. Not nearly as busy as Palm Meadows though.
    edited January 2009
    from Thoroughbred Times:

Nicanor, a full brother to 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) winner Barbaro, might make his racing debut at the end of this month, trainer Michael Matz said.

Matz said a start around the date of the $500,000 Donn Handicap (G1) on January 31 is possible for the three-year-old Dynaformer colt.

“I’m not sure there’s a race scheduled for him,” Matz said. “I would love to get him into a race those days.”

Nicanor breezed four furlongs in :50.40 on Saturday at Palm Meadows Training Center. The breeze ranked 32nd of 52 timed moves at the distance.

Matz said Nicanor’s intelligence has increased as his training has accelerated.

“He has really matured a lot just in the last month,” Matz said.

Nicanor is a homebred of Roy and Gretchen Jackson’s Lael Stables. The Jacksons also raced Barbaro, who shattered his right hind limb in the 2006 Preakness Stakes (G1).

Both Barbaro and Nicanor were produced by multiple Grade 2-placed winner La Ville Rouge, by Carson City.

Nicanor has breezed on both dirt and turf in preparation for his debut.

“We’re not sure if it will be seven-eighths or a mile,” Matz said. “If we want to start on the turf, we can do that because he works equally as well there. We have options. We just need the race to come up.”

Barbaro was unbeaten in his first six career starts, including a dominant 6 1/2-length win in the 2006 Kentucky Derby.

He made his first three starts on turf before he successfully switched to the main track. Barbaro won the 2006 Holy Bull Stakes (G3) on the main track at Gulfstream on the Donn Handicap undercard.