Derby future book thread

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
I was gonna post this in the Horses to Watch thread, but since it's officially Derby season now, i figured a seperate thread for Derby prospects would be nice.

Free Country (1/8 @ GP, Race 6)

I actually gave this Ken McPeek-trained horse out on my site yesterday. He had ran a whale of a race @ Churchill back in November, launching a huge late rally to run past Soul Warrior in deep stretch. Making his rally even more impressive is the fact that Soul Warrior finished over 6 lengths clear of the rest of the 12-horse field, and subsequently returned to score a sharp win at Fair Grounds last week when stretched out to two turns. While Free Country's final time looked slow that day at 1:12 1/5, it was actually very good when you consider that the fine Pletcher stakes-type Game Face had run 7 furlongs in a snail-like 1:25 3/5 over the same surface just an hour earlier.

For yesterday's race at Gulfstream, Free Country was stretching WAY out from 6 furlongs to 1 1/8 miles, while having not raced since November. Not an easy task, particularly when stepping up to face a horse who had just run second to Old Fashioned in the Remsen. He also appeared to be missing a workout in late December, though he was coming into the race off a heads-up drill with barnmate Danger to Society, a sharp Churchill maiden winner who ended up winning yesterday's 8th race. Also of note was that jockey Kent Desormeaux was getting off the Bill Mott-trained entrant Stormalory (whom he had ridden 3 straight times, nost recently in a graded stakes) in order to stay with Free Country. In the race itself, Free Country was stuck down inside while stalking the pace from much closer-up than he had been in his debut, where came from 10 lengths behind. That may have been due to the slower route fractiuons, or it may signal a change in tactics. Anyway, he was stuck behind horses along the rail while clearly full of run, and was lucky enough to have the leader drift off the rail when turning for home, at which point he promptly shot thru and took command. The only bad thing i can say is that he failed to opern up, but again, this isa horse who was stretching way out in distance while coming off a layoff, and he did maintain his advantage over that Remsen runner-up once he took the lead. McPeek had also mentioned before the race that Free Country (and his other trainees in the two alowance races yesterday) were "not overdone" for the race. So taking all this into account, i've have to expect further improvement from this colt, who is already 2-for-2 at two different racetracks. It also doesn't hurt that he's already a winner at 1 1/8 miles, someything not very many 3yo's can say right now. Definitely one to follow.

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    His 86 Beyer Dosent Bother U Since Old Fashioned Ran A 100 At Aqu Going A Mile And Eigith. I Agree He Is A Nice Colt Do U Think He Is Better Than The Other Horse Danger To Society.we Will See Down The Rd I Thought The Race Was Mediocure.i Hope They Have Some Better 3 Yr Olds At Gulfstream Than What He Beat. I Think The Horse That Scratched Theregoesjojo May Be Better Than Both Of Them But He Has His Hands Full With Quailty Rd Who Is 5/2 On The Morning Line I Wish.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    I think it was an outstanding performance, given the circumstances. The Beyer doesn't mean anything to me, those things are purely subjective anyway. Comparing him to Old Fashioned is foolhardy at this point because Old Fashioned had a better foundation to work from when he won the Remsen, plus he had things all his own way on an easy lead. Also be aware, the Beyer guys are likely going to give a higher figure to horse winning a Grade 2 stakes than they are to a horse winning a preliminary allowance race, regardless of the respective performances. Don't think that doesn't factor in. Besides, i'm talking about long-range potential, not necessarily who's better at this point in time.

Regarding Danger to Society, i didn't watch the race, but judging by the charts the two races were similar, with almost identical final times of 1:51.19 and 1:51.16. I would say that Free Country probably ran the better of the two races, based on the fact that he went a bit faster early and he didn't have much running room. He also showed a good bit of courage and professionalism for a young horse. Also keep in mind that Danger to Society had a foundation advantage heading into their respective races, with his maiden win coming at a mile as opposed to Free Country's six furlong win. Impossible to say with any certainty at this point, but i feel confident that Free Country is the better of the two.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    CAT MAN YOU SAID A MOUTH FULL "BYERS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME! BYERS ARE THERE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HAVE REASON FOR WHY THEY LOSE. I JUST LOSE AND BLAME MYSELF :x-tongue:
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I like Pioneer of the Nile for the derby future. Like his last race and the switch to Baffert has helped. Had this horse in the Breeders Cup Juv which he did run a decent race. Looking like he might be my early derby horse
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Im Still With The Pamplemousse. Nice Looking Colt Who Finally Got A Chance To Go Long His Last Race And Won Nice.
    edited January 2009
    It's hard for me to like Pioneerof the Nile. I know that Baffert is reportedly high on him, but he was having to be very hard-ridden to just barely get up over a mediocre group in the CashCall Futurity. Might've just caught him on a bad day, but I wasn't overly impressed with him. Seems overrated.

I do like The Pamplemousse quite a bit, I think he has a lot of potential. He was even flattered a bit recently when Mayor Marv came back to run another strong second around two turns.
    edited January 2009
    The Pamplemousse Doesent Have A Derby Pedigree I Would Want Dont Like It Very Much Good Luck With Him.
    edited January 2009
    So Cat What U Think About Theregoesjojo I Think He Is Better Than The Other Two Of Mcpeeks Horses He Beat Mine All Mine In His Debut Mine All Mine Win At Saratoga By 10 Lengths For Wesley Ward Being By Bramhs Out Of A Seattle Slew Mare He Ought To Stretch Out Interesting Prospect I Think Jmo.
    edited January 2009
    Hey Cat We Have A Playback Horse At The Fgs Sat In The First Race Why They Draw That Race As The First Awful In My Opinion I Really Like This Horse.i Know He Stood In The Gt The First Time Or He Wins .good Luck
    edited January 2009
    I thought he looked great the other day. It'll be interesting to see how effective he is stretching out. As for The Pamplemousse's breeding, i actually had a Derby future on his dad (Kafwain) some years back. He was injured though, and never made the Derby. Ran quite well in one of the Fair Grounds preps though, if memory serves. Besides, i thought even before The Pamplemousse sttretched out that he wanted to go long, and it seems that way even more now that he's done it. I don't think added distance will be much of a detriment to him, quite the opposite.
    edited January 2009
    I Honestly Thought Kafwain Was More Of A Sprinter Than A Route Horse I May Be Wrong May Have Been Thinking About A Different Horse But I Thought Baffert Had Him Am I Wrong.
    edited January 2009
    I believe he won the San Vicente (7 furlongs) for Baffert before being sent to Fair Ground, yes.
    edited January 2009
    Did U Look At The First At The Fgs Cat Or Not They R Stretching Him Out He Should Handle It I Think Dont Like The Post All That Well.
    edited January 2009
    peacerules wrote: »
    Did U Look At The First At The Fgs Cat Or Not They R Stretching Him Out He Should Handle It I Think Dont Like The Post All That Well.

I just looked at the entries per your suggestion and yes, I think he'll stretch out fine. I actually have him in my Virtual Stable, but I hadn't received a notification yet. I won't have any PP's until Thursday (the race is Friday, not Saturday).
    edited January 2009
    Scratch that, the race is indeed
    Saturday. I'll get PP's on Friday.
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Let Me Know What U Think
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    The only horse you have to worry about is Final Judgement, I think the horse you like is Capt. Cherokee. I have the form if you want it, I will send it over to you.

FB
    edited January 2009
    Hey Fb Nice Race By Ferisan Fire U Were Right I Want A Rematch Down The Rd I Was A Short Horse Stumbling Didnt Help Nice Race By The Winner Though.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    Not To Interupt But I Think Pletcher Has Idle Maker Where He Wants Him TO BE HE Has Been Baby-n Him
    edited January 2009
    I hope it's not one of those deals where he meets a weak field and goes off @ 3/5. Btw, Captain Cherokee is an Asmussen, and i know that Asmussen scored easily with a similar-type horse (Soul Warrior) coming off a big second-place effort @ in a Churchill sprint and then stretching out to two turns @ Fair Grounds.
    edited January 2009
    Yea I Know Who He Is I Bet Him The Day He Stood In The Gt At Churchill Came Running And Ran 2nd To A Horse Kent D Was On .we Will C I Was Just Worried About The Post Could Get Hung Out.
    edited January 2009
    If Pletcher Has Idol Maker Where He Wants Him He Will Fool Me Im Not Playing Pletcher Without Johnny V So Ill Pass On Him Until Johnny V Sees Fit To Ride Jmo Good Luck.