Another racing death @ Santa Anita...and it's a big one

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Associated Press:

LEXINGTON, Ky.: The president of Hill 'n' Dale Farms says multiple graded stakes-winning filly Indyanne has been euthanized after breaking an ankle during a race last month.

John Sikura announced the horse's death Tuesday. He said in a statement that veterinarians determined it would have been inhumane to continue treatment.

The filly fractured a sesamoid in her left front ankle while leading down the stretch of the Grade I La Brea Stakes on Dec. 27 at Santa Anita Park.

Indyanne won her first four starts by a combined 32 1/2 lengths. The Kentucky-bred daughter of Indian Charlie earned $500,000 in her career.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    So many good horses retired to injury or death these days. The handicapp division is so wide open this year, it will be sad to see who gets horse of the year for 09. Not many real black type winners racing anymore.

FB
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Really Ashame She Was A Very Nice Filly As Well Go Between Very Nice Horse Ashame.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    This is a SHOCKER. I had backed this Filly from the start. I would 've loved to see her as a Broad Mare. Another GREAT Filly that didn't get her chance due to injury is Cute Cognac,fortunately for her she wasn't put down and was sold @ action for $180,000. Sire by Hennessy. I'll be waiting for her Foals inthe near future.(2 years). But Indyanne,man what a lost.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I play everyday but feel the racing season is just too long.There should be breaks in all schedules...jmo...w2w
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    wire2wire wrote: »
    I play everyday but feel the racing season is just too long.There should be breaks in all schedules...jmo...w2w

Totally agree you W2W, really would make for better graded race. Just wait and see what type of grade 1's we have this year. You will have good Alw horses winning graded races this coming year.

FB