Free selection from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Gulfstream - Race 3

#6 Sartorius (8/1 ml)

Okay, let's try this again. As mentioned yesterday, Sartorius tied for the fastest quarter at the June OBS (21.1), and more recently worked heads-up three straight times with the older stakes winner Fierce Wind, who took the Sam Davis @ Tampa Bay Downs last year. Obviously, this horse was entered yesterday going 6 1/2 furlongs, but scratched in order to run in this one-mile race. I wasn't happy about that, but it's worth mentioning that Sartorius was actually entered last week going 1 1/16 miles on turf, but landed on the also-eligible list and didn't draw in. That, combined with the fact he scratched to run one mile today, indicates that trainer Phipps must feel strongly that Sartorius wants some more ground. So despite my reservations, the longer distance may well be to his benefit. Also of note is that the hot-riding Kent Desormeaux takes the call today (rather than yesterday's listed rider Joe Bravo). Kent was actually aboard a different horse yesterday (Primary Witness), and that horse won. So it appears that Kent had some interest in riding Sartorius, but passed due to another commitment. Might even be another reason why Sartorius scratched in order to run today. In any case, i'm expecting a good showing from this horse.

HRT record:

50 for 172 (29%)

$428.90 mutuels ($8.58 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Never ran a step. Kent stopped riding him before they even left the turn. Not sure what happened here.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Hey Cat The Only Thing That Makes Me Wonder Is All The Scratches He Has Had Long On Grass Short On Dirt 1mile On Dirt Why U Think All That Happened Very Skepitical Of That Doesnt Make Sense To Do That.