The Pamplemousse takes the San Rafael Stakes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

The Pamplemousse went from maiden winner to graded stakes winner Jan. 17 at Santa Anita Park, breaking to an early lead and never looking back for an impressive two-length victory in the $100,000 San Rafael Stakes (gr. III) (VIDEO) for 3-year-olds on the Pro-Ride surface.

Under the handling of Alex Solis, The Pamplemousse broke sharply from the inside post and outraced Brother Keith to the front. The son of Kafwain had things his own way after Brother Keith was rank and steadied on the first turn by Garret Gomez. The Pamplemousse led pace stalker Fiddlers Afleet comfortably after a quarter in :23.04 and a half-mile in :45.67.

Ryehill Dreamer and 3-5 favorite Square Eddie gained ground while rounding the far turn and appeared poised to make a serious run at the leader, but The Pamplemousse found more at the top of the lane and extended his advantage.

The final time in the one-mile event was 1:35.31.

“I’m speechless, I really am,” said Solis, whose son Alex Solis Jr. is a part owner in the horse. “This horse has such a high cruising speed, I thought I was going :24, :48 (but) it feels like he’s walking. He does everything so effortlessly. He was so impressive; when the other horses came to him, he didn’t see them, he heard them and he just took off.

“I better start going to church and hope he stays sound. My son buying the horse makes it even more special.”

Square Eddie, the Lane’s End Breeders’ Futurity (gr. I) winner and Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I) runner-up, settled for second under Rafael Bejarano. Ryehill Dreamer was 2 3/4 lengths back in third in the scratched-filled San Rafael, which went to post with only five horses. Papa Clem, Charlie’s Moment and Feisty Suances were all scratches.

The Pamplemousse was soundly beaten in the first two races of his career, but found his form when breaking his maiden last out at Hollywood Park. The gray/roan colt won the 1 1/16-mile Cushion Track contest by 2 3/4 lengths Dec. 14 and had a series of sharp works entering the San Rafael.

Winning trainer Julio Canani was very pleased with his budding star, who vaulted himself onto the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) trail.

“I was concerned when I saw the early fractions, but he was training unbelievable,” Canani said. “He’s developing mentally and physically. He’s awkward because he’s growing and growing. He’s huge, but he’s got a great mind, and I’ve got no problems with him. He re-broke in the stretch when Square Eddie came to him, but he’s much better when he follows somebody.

“I’ll take my time. If I run him in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I, April 4), he may run one more time before that.”

Owned by Ann Winner and Carol Bienstock of Encino, William Strauss, and Solis Jr., The Pamplemousse, who was named for Strauss' popular Pamplemousse Grill next to Del Mar, was bought for $150,000 at the Ocala Breeders' Sale Co. 2008 selected sale of 2-year-old in training. He was bred by Clarkland Farm in Kentucky and is out of the Rubiano mare Comfort Zone.

The winner paid $7.20, $3, and $2.20 as the second choice. The $2 exacta (1-6) returned $11.60.

Square Eddie, who came three-wide into the stretch and had every opportunity to run down the winner, seemed to be affected by his lengthy layoff. The son of Smart Strike had not raced since the Oct. 25 Breeders’ Cup.

“He should definitely move forward off this,” said trainer Doug O’Neill. “He got tired. It was his first race in almost three months. Obviously, we wanted to win, but the main thing is for him to come out of this good and go in the right direction.”

O’Neill indicated that Square Eddie might be headed to Fair Grounds to run on natural dirt.

Brother Keith, trained by Bobby Frankel, made a mild rally to edge Fiddlers Afleet for fourth.

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    But Oes He Like Dirt That Is The Question I Still Question His Pedigree At 11/4 Jmo.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Peacerules. I Dont Question Pedigrees No More After Smarty Jones It Is Just How The Horse Runs And How Easy They Do It....
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Thanks DCat for the advice. I think it was you and another member on here turned me onto this horse a while back. Just happened to look in yesterdays paper and noticed the horse was running and threw a few $$$ on him. Thanks
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    The Pamplemousse does appear to be bred for sprint distances (Kafwain on top, Rubiano on bottom), but he certainly doesn't give that impression on the racetrack. As i mentioned on here after his first career start, i was expecting improvement from this horse when he stretched That has turned out to true, though basically he's improved in EVERY race, sprints included. I was kinda struck yesterday by how quickly he shut it down on the gallop-out, but aside from that i don't see any reason why he wouldn't like more distance. His final furlong yesterday wasn't particularly fast, but i believe that was due to the fast early fractions he has been setting. And Canani mentions in the above article that The Pamplemousse is better when he has a target in front of him, so it's not like he's a speed-crazy frontrunner who will be vulnerable at longer distances. I think this horse is the goods.
    edited January 2009
    He Is Not Gonna Get Away With That In The Derby.maybe U Dont Ray But I Do Im Not Gonna Bet A Horse By Kafwain And A Rubiano Mare Not At A 11/4 .dont Think So He Will Beat Me I Think U Will C On Down The Rd I Dont Think Sqare Eddie Is As Good As Everyone Thinks He Is We Will C Down The Rd .jmo
    edited January 2009
    I just think every horse is different. Breeding may be important in some respects, but it's more about the individual than his family. Holy Bull is a perfect example; i once read he was bred to be a claiming-level sprinter. You just never know until they go out on the track and do it.

Incidentally, one of the hot Derby-type sires these days is Elusive Quality. He was a sprinter, was he not?
    edited January 2009
    He Will Not Go 22 @4 46 1.10 In The Derby And Keep On Going When Some Oone Looks Him In The Eye.ur Right About Elusive Quailty Thats Not Kafwain And Rubiano. Holy Bull Was A Good Horse But He Was Better At A 11/8 Than A 11/4 He Was Life And Death To Win The Travers He Came To A Walk In The Final 1/4 Mile.i Just Cant See Him Going A 11/4 We Will C In The Santa Anita Derby And Beyond. Not Saying U R Wrong Just My Opinion.
    edited January 2009
    The Pamplemousse is not a need-the-lead type. He ended up on the lead yesterday through circumstances. That is, he drew the rail and was saving ground around the first turn, then the #3 horse Brother Keith bore out a bit and took the horses to his outside with him. That left The Pamplemousse all alone on the lead. What was he supposed to do, slam on the brakes? Also note Canani's post-race comment, where he said "he's better when he follows somebody". The chances of The Pamplemousse contesting the Derby pace (assuming he gets to the race at all) are slim-to-none.
    edited January 2009
    Im Not Saying U R Wrong Cat Just Dont Think He Is My Type Of Horse.i Know U Like Him Jm Still Skepitcal Of Him. U Could Be Right U Know More Than Me Im Sure Im Just Saying He Also Has A Funny Action High Action Kinda Like A Turf Horse .all I Can Say Is Good Luck With Him Down The Rd If He Goes In The Sham Is He Gonna Get Him A Dirt Race Or Not.
    edited January 2009
    The Derby is still 4 months away. I really don't have much of an opinion on any horse, as far as that race goes. The Pamplemousse is just one of the more realistic prospects at this point in time. That's all i'm saying.

You may well turn out to be right about breeding and/or distance limitations. Too early to tell.
    edited January 2009
    I Totally Agree With U Long Way Out Lets Watch A Few More .by The Way How Many Good Horses Does Asmussen Have And I Have No Idea What Kinda Ride Castellano Gave Kopitar Yesterday.do U Think Sqare Eddie Is As Good As Everyone Thinks I Dont He Beat No One At Keeneland.i Also Think The Colt They Bought Off Frankel Is Better Than Midshipman Also Just My Opinion We Will See.i Still Think U R Gonna See Some Late Bloomers.i Still Want To C Giant Oak And Beethoven When They Come Back .also Want To C Indygo Mt I Hope Everyone Forgets About This Colt.i Know When He Is Right He Is Awful Good .
    edited January 2009
    I Think The Colt Jerry Hollendorfer Has Is A Nice Colt I Watched The Replay Of The Cashcall Futurity He Was Running Over Top Of Them Late .i Think His Name Is Choclate Candy I Think He Has Potential Would Like Ur Opinion. I Heard El Camino Derby Then Sa Derby.also Heard Toby Turell Really Liked Pioneer Of The Niles Last Work Said It Was Great.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    i AGREE WITH YOU PEACERULES BECAUSE KAFWAIN HAD LIMITS AND HIS DAM ALSO BUT HE HAS JUST BEEN A HORSE I KEPT MY EYE ON...NOW I WILL WATCH AND MAKE SURE I GET A GOOD PRICE OR ILL JUST STAY AWAY...WITH PIONEER OF THE NILE I JUST DID NOT LIKE HIS LAST RACE BUT I ALSO KNOW BOB BAFFERT HAS MAGIC WHEN IT COMES TO THE DERBY.
    edited January 2009
    Nice win by Chocolate Candy in the California Derby. The field he faced was rather light, but he did appear to be reaching out well at the finish while getting final sixteenth in an excellent 6 1/5 seconds. Chocolate Candy had previously run third in the CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park, so his win flatters the first two finishers of that race, Pioneerof The Nile and I Want Revenge. So to does the second-place finish of Axel Foley, who was also exiting the CashCall Futurity.

With regard to Pioneerof the Nile, i ran across a blurb in the Stable Notes section of the Santa Anita website, where private clocker Toby Turrell referred to Pioneerof the Nile's recent workout as "incredible". I honestly wasn't too impressed with Pioneerof the Nile's effort in the CashCall, but another handicapper whose opinion i respect greatly likes the horse quite a bit. No value on any Derby futures (currently listed between 20/1 and 35/1), but he's worth keeping an eye on.