The New Derby Prospect

cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Dunkirk the $3.7 Million Dollar Purchaced Colt won like a CHAMP. Will be watching him along with Free Country. I do have a Filly for you guys her name is Mycrispycream @ Santa Anita next time out but on Poly not Grass.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    The Derby winner will not debut on Jan 24. That's a pretty safe bet.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    What does it matter if a Colts debut is Jan 24 or Sept 24? It all really come down to is the Colt fit and ready for a top performance reguardless of his or her debut date. How many races did Big Brown have before the Derby? And don't get me wroung i do respect other peoples opinions. His blood line is fantastic. Sired by Unbridled's Song by Unbridled on the Dam side Secret Status by none other than Horse of the Year A.P.Indy. Both Sire and Dam's Sire are inthe Top5 Ranked by Earnings Stallions. So, all I'm saying is to keep him on your Horse to watch list.
    edited January 2009
    Big Brown got a late start as a 3yo, but he already had a two-turn win under his belt by the time he turned up at Gulfstream. And he barely got into the Derby at all, impressive as he was. He needed to run at least 2nd in the Florida Derby just to have enough graded earnings to get in. Bottom line, they've been running the Kentucky Derby for. Very long time, and no horse who debuted as a 3yo has won it in the last 80 years or thereabouts.

Regarding Dunkirk himself, he looked okay yesterday but the time of the race was very slow. Nothing to real excited about, at least not yet.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    they say the track for the first 5 races was slow. I quit looking at the money that the tabor's put for horses especially after the green monkey.16million???????????? He has to prove him self to we but he has sometime to do it.
    edited January 2009
    Turns out that Alan wrote about Dunkirk on his Left at the Gate blog today. Here were his impressions:

In the 5th, Pletcher unveiled Dunkirk, a $3.7 million yearling purchase for the Coolmore folks. Sent off as the 8-5 favorite, the son of Unbridled's Song out of the G1 winner Secret Status (AP Indy) also broke poorly. But this one swung six wide after encountering traffic on the turn, blew by the field and drew off to win by almost six. Before you get too excited though, consider this: John Velazquez rode Kings Village for Albertrani instead, and it seems highly doubtful that would be the case if Pletcher thought he had a big horse. In addition, take a look at the extent to which this race fell apart; after three horses sparred on top in quarters of 22.35 and 23, the subsequent quarter took an imponderable 26.76. So the breadth of the horse's move may have looked far better than it really was. Though he finished up in a respectable 12.90, I'm not at all interested in any futures lines on this one.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Go back and watch the race, I thought they were giving this colt a education race while I was wathing it, then all of a sudden they asked him to run and he was gone in a blink. Jr on the 12 was stuck in a bad post and will win next out, put him in your stable mail.

FB
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to go back and watch the replay, but i can't (it's a Churchill Downs-owned track, and they withhold all their replays from CalRacing).

I did see the race though (and watched the replay via the track feed), but frankly i was more concerned with Denver, the longer half of the Pletcher entry who went off at around 20/1. I bet Denver because he had worked heads-up with Dunkirk three straight times heading into the race, and in fact had out-worked Dunkirk by a tad in the most recent of those. I couldn't believe the difference in price, and really thought i was getting some huge value on Denver. He didn't show squat though, i'm sorry to say. Made me feel even worse when Dunkirk won the race, because i was left wondering how the two horses could've run that differently. I can only assume that Dunkirk must've been well under wraps in those drills while Denver was being pushed along, but who knows.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I Can Tell U One Thing If They Thought The Horse Was That Good Why No Jv And Why Prado The Horse Johnny Rode Will Win Next Time Horrible Post And Pressured The Whole Way.alsowent Fractions 22.2 45.1 On The Lead.they Absoultely Walked Home Finishing Tn 125 And Change For 7 Furlongs So This Is The Derby Winner I Read On Here Somewhere. Has There Ever Been A Horse Win The Derby Without A Start As A 2 Yr Old I Saw Pulpit Run 121 And Change The Yr He Tried And This Is No Pulpit .this Is Not The Derby Winner Maybe Preakness Or Belmont Down The Rd Not The Derby .jmo
    edited January 2009
    Who said Derby Winner? He's a Derby Prospect. And do you really think one of the Top Colts, inthe Derby, is going to run 22.2 45.1 and will go the distance. Idon't think so. Devine Park was a horse that could close in 1:09.2 but in a Derby as a Trainer I'd kill my Jockey for rushing him up too soon. I'd have him run his race exactly as Dunkirt's pace was, and run then over down the strech.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Expensive youngster wins debut

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he is inclined to come back in an allowance race with Dunkirk, the expensive auction purchase who defeated maidens in his debut on Saturday.

Dunkirk, 3, a colt by Unbridled's Song who cost $3.7 million, rallied from off the pace to win sprinting.

"He had trained very well, and obviously with a pedigree like he has, we have high hopes, and he didn't let us down Saturday," Pletcher said.

Pletcher said Dunkirk would be pointed to a two-turn race for his next start. He got a Beyer Speed Figure of 77 on Saturday.

"He gives me the impression that the farther he goes, the better he'll be, considering the way he finishes his works and the way he gallops out after his works," Pletcher said.
    edited January 2009
    U Must Really Know Pletcher The Horse Got A 77 Beyer For The Race The Colt John Velasquez Rode For Abetrani Will Win The Next Time Is What Im Saying To U .and If U Think That John Velasquez Doesnt Ride First Call For Pletcher U R Crazy So Good Luck Cinfront With Ur 3.7 Million Dollar Horse We Will See.
    edited January 2009
    The Dutrow Trained This Ones For Phil Got A 117 Beyer Dont Ever Remember A Number That High This Early In The Year At Any Distance .does Anyone Else Dutrow Said Ft Of Youth Is Next.
    edited January 2009
    So Cinfront I Guess U Would Kill Angel Cordero Jr When He Rode Spend A Buck Im Glad U Didnt .
    edited January 2009
    1st thing peacerules, a Master Jockey if not the Best Jockey to hold the reins, Angle Cordero Jr.knew what he had under him in Spend A Buck, Bold Forbes, Mister Frisky amoung a long line of Extrodinary Athelete that he & others have the opportunity to ride. Secretariat, here's a horse that closed from off the pace but inthe Belmont in 1973 this Extrodinary Colt & I repeat Extrodinary Colt ran wire to wire hitting the 6f marker in an unheard of 1:09.2 let alone demolishing the track record by 12 lenths. Will there be an Extrodinary Colt inthe Derby this year or Ordinary Colts with less ability then the winner. We'll see. Food for the thoughts: was Winning Colors and Extrodinary Filly winning the Derby, in 1988, or was Forty Niner an Ordinary Colt with less ability than her, closing and not being able to pass her inthe strech run to the wire, losing by a head? So, anwsering your to your last threads, No I would not have kill Angle for his ride on Spend A Buck because as a Trainer that would have been my instructions to him. To take this Extrodinary Colt wire to wire.
    edited January 2009
    u still not getting the pt this horse is none of them.and why was jv on the other horse would u answer that for me since u know who rides for pletcher.and im telling u if u put this horse in ur stable u better put the one in there jv rode for albetrani.thats all im saying good luck on ur picks
    edited January 2009
    By The Way Cordero Was Not The Best Jockey To Hold The Reigns In My Opinion.
    edited January 2009
    I got you peace. That's exactly my point when i first wrote, to keep this horse on you guys Horse to Watch List. And i will keep an eye on Johnny/ Pletcher's Colt. But remember this that it happens all the time that a Jockey & Agent decide to take a mount or switch mounts and wind up giving an other Jockey the Opportunity to ride the Winner. Wroung calculation on their part, that's all.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    HERE YOU GO CINFRONT:

Gulfstream Park | Posted 2/5/2009, 6:26 pmPrint
    $3.7M yearling drills for second start
    By Mike Welsch

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Dunkirk, the $3.7 million yearling purchase who ran such a visually impressive race winning his debut here on Jan. 24, turned in his first workout since graduation day when he breezed four furlongs in 48.40 seconds at Palm Meadows on Thursday.

Dunkirk, a son of Unbridled's Song, rallied from the back of the pack following a slow start to a 6 3/4-length victory under jockey Edgar Prado. Despite the sensational manner in which he captured the seven-furlong dash, Dunkirk earned a relatively low 78 Beyer Speed Figure.

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he was planning on taking the conservative route with Dunkirk and will look for an allowance race for his next start rather than thrusting the promising colt immediately into stakes company.

"I just don't think it would be fair to toss him right in with horses who have already run five or six times off just his maiden win," said Pletcher who will be at Santa Anita to saddle horses in three stakes on Saturday.
  • edited February 2009
    peacerules wrote: »
    The Dutrow Trained This Ones For Phil Got A 117 Beyer Dont Ever Remember A Number That High This Early In The Year At Any Distance .does Anyone Else Dutrow Said Ft Of Youth Is Next.
    IT WAS THE HIGHEST BEYER NUMBER ASSIGNED TO A 3 YEAR OLD--JUST PROVES WHAT STEROIDS AND JUICE CAN DUE TO AN AVERAGE ANIMAL...
    edited February 2009
    Didn't Holy Bull receive a 122 Beyer for his Met Mile win?
    edited February 2009
    I'd like to go back and watch the replay, but i can't (it's a Churchill Downs-owned track, and they withhold all their replays from CalRacing).

I did see the race though (and watched the replay via the track feed), but frankly i was more concerned with Denver, the longer half of the Pletcher entry who went off at around 20/1. I bet Denver because he had worked heads-up with Dunkirk three straight times heading into the race, and in fact had out-worked Dunkirk by a tad in the most recent of those. I couldn't believe the difference in price, and really thought i was getting some huge value on Denver. He didn't show squat though, i'm sorry to say. Made me feel even worse when Dunkirk won the race, because i was left wondering how the two horses could've run that differently. I can only assume that Dunkirk must've been well under wraps in those drills while Denver was being pushed along, but who knows.

Heads-up here. Denver runs back today, and coming into this race he worked head-up with American Dance, who ran thuird in the Remsen and also ran in that Dunkirk allowance on Thursday. Pletcher's main rider John Velazquez takes over the mount now, and dramatic improvement is a possibility. I didn't get a real good lok at him in the debut (replay is available on You Tube thanks to Dunkirk), but it seems he was not being encouraged much at all turning for home when he finally came back into the picture, then the rider angles him way outside for room and he leaves the picture again, but it seems he passed several horses in the stretch. Might've just been an education run, what with hi having drawn the rail and his barnamte Dunkirk obviously being very well-meant. That would also explain his dead-on-the-board status and the lack of a big-name rider that day. 12/1 on the morning line today, and i think he's worth one more chance.