Curlin wins Horse of the Year

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

As the only member of the elite crop of 2007 3-year-olds to return to racing as a 4-year-old, Curlin had the hopes of racing fans across the country resting on his shoulders as he embarked on an ambitious campaign that was designed to break new ground in international racing.

Everything began according to plan when Curlin captured the Jaguar Trophy and Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) at Nad Al Sheba, the latter by a resounding 7 3/4 lengths over top-class horses from the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

After conquering the Middle East, Curlin returned home and easily captured the Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs by 4 1/4 lengths under 128 pounds. With his form established on two continents, the defending Horse of the Year turned his sights to Europe and the granddaddy of all races, the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Fra-I).

But in his grass debut in the Man o’ War Stakes (gr. IT) he finished second to 2006 John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner Red Rocks. It was enough to convince owner Jess Jackson and trainer Steve Asmussen to abandon their plans and map out a new schedule in the United States.

Curlin captured the prestigious Woodward Stakes (gr. I) and Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), the latter for the second year in a row. His Gold Cup victory pushed his career earnings over the $10-million mark, making him the top money-winning North American-based horse of all time, passing Cigar.

Curlin concluded the year in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I), but could do no better than fourth in his synthetic surface debut.

Comments

• cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I really think they did the Undefeated Filly, Zenyatta, unjustly. In my mind she should have taken Horse of the Year Honors. I would had love to have seen her beat the boy inthe Classic but of course Owner an Trainer decided to capture the Fillies and Mares Crown. The English Champion, who happened to be a 3yr old Filly, decided to make the trip to Santa Anita an face Zenyatta.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    decided not to make the trip.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    I agree, I would've voted for Zenyatta also.

Btw, I believe the European filly you're referencing is Zarkava? She's French, and though she was a filly, she would never have run vs. Zenyatta even if she DID run in the Breeders Cup. She would have run in (and likely won) the Breeders Cup Turf. But she was never being aimed at the Breeders Cup at any point. Her main goal was the Arc, which she won in spectacular fashion. She has since been retired.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I Will Say This The Goldolphin Filly That Ran Second In The Breeders Cup Will Make Zennyatta Run This Year Coco Beach Is Her Name And May Well Beat Her U Heard It Hear First.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Cocoa Beach Sorry This Is A Very Nice Filly We Will C This Year.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    I watched zarkava and her kick was explosive she was probably the best turf horse i saw this year. I was a doubter until I saw her run. Zenyatta dominated her division even on her off days. I also believe she should of won horse of the year..I think we all could tell curlin wasnt the same when he got back from dubai. Cocoa beach is a very good horse but I dont think that she can go head to head with Zenyatta. I also think you have to watch out for music note if they run her at 4....Its a new year and a lot of things can change so lets see