Calabrese severs ties with Catalano

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
January 27, 2009

BY JIM O'DONNELL jodonnell@suntimes.com

The stormiest high-wire relationship in Chicago thoroughbred racing came tumbling down again on Monday.

Frank Calabrese -- who has won a record eight consecutive owners championships at Arlington Park since sharing his first in 2000 -- confirmed that he has fired trainer Wayne Catalano and will shift his horses to five other trainers. With Calabrese as his primary patron, Catalano, 52, an ex-jockey, has won seven of the last nine trainers crowns at Arlington.

''It's over, and this time it's for good,'' Calabrese said. ''He turned his back on me in the paddock [at Gulfstream Park] last Thursday, and that's it. ... I've learned the business, and I can't be fooled anymore. He's made money, I never make money. Last year, I won championships at Arlington and Hawthorne and lost almost $2 million. I'm tired of not making money.''

Said Catalano: ''We've divorced. We've had a great run together. I've enjoyed all of the opportunities Mr. Calabrese has given me, and I'm sorry it had to come to an end.''

Calabrese and Catalano have split up before, most notably in 2004.

Calabrese said the 35 horses he has in training will be split between Danny Miller, Larry ''High Strike'' Rivelli, Peter Walder, Wesley Ward and Rick Slomkowski -- Catalano's brother-in-law.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited January 2009
    :cry:calabrese, sounds like a little crybaby kid. he kind of tarnish the meaning
    "SPORT OF KINGS"
    BOO HOOOO!!!!!!!