Article on Indygo Mountain (for Peacerules)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

NEW ORLEANS -- The connections of Indygo Mountain can only hope Round 2 of the Fair Grounds 3-year-old stakes series goes better than Round 1. It hardly could be worse.

Indygo Mountain, a $600,000 yearling by A.P. Indy, hit the early Triple Crown radar with an impressive one-mile maiden win at Churchill Downs in October, but little went right in the ensuing two months. The colt battled foot trouble after coming to Fair Grounds, and actually was scratched on the track minutes before he was to have started in a December allowance race. Already behind in his training, Indygo Mountain quickly fell far behind the early leaders after hitting the gate at the start of the Jan. 10 Lecomte Stakes, and he wound up a distant sixth that day.

But trainer Bret Calhoun is optimistic that things will unfold far more favorably here Saturday when Indygo Mountain returns in the $200,000 Risen Star.

"That last race was disheartening, but I think that's just a throw-out race," Calhoun said Wednesday on a relatively frigid Fair Grounds backstretch. "I think he'll improve significantly this time."

Indygo Mountain is pretty gigantic, tall, long-legged and long-bodied. All the parts have taken time to work in tandem, but Calhoun is seeing progress.

"His legs used to go everywhere when he ran," Calhoun said, "but now he's getting them under him a lot better."

Indeed, when Indygo Mountain had a five-furlong work here Jan. 29, only Old Fashioned bettered his time of 1:00.

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Dc I Just Know What I Saw In The Mdn Win At Churchill I Know That Was 1 Turn .but I Know He Is Better Than Last Time.and I Think He Is Sitting On A Big Race Sat.i Saw Bridgemohan Chose Another Horse Not Soul Warrior Does That Worry U Any Would Me .
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    I hadn't seen that yet. I do know that there's a certain first-time starter in the last race today who has been working in company with Soul Warrior. It'll be interesting to see what he does today. Frankly, I'm more concerned about that race than I am the Risen Star.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    He ran quite well. Cha-ching!
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Nice Call Dc I Hope U R Right About Soul Warrior U Never Know Could Have Been Zayatt Took Him Off.15/1 Nice Price On Him.