Good article on Rail Trip

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Just a little preface, here's what i had written about Rail Trip in my "Horses to Watch" thread back on Nov 30:

Rail Trip (11/7 @ Hol, Race 3)

3yo firster for Ron Ellis was well-bet in his debut, and responded with an incredibly impressive effort, unquestionably one of the best debut runs i've ever seen. Shot straight to the lead from the outside post after breaking sharply, and raced clear on the front end while setting solid fractions. He really began to impress once turning for home however, extending his lead while never being asked for run, posting a ridiculous five-furlong split of 55.96 before hitting the wire in 1:07.96 with the rider sitting chilly. Scary to think what he could've done with some encouragement in the lane.

He's contined to train well since that race, and i expect he'll be entered pretty soon. Figures odds-on vs. any kind of first-level allowance company, but if he stays healthy, this horse is going places. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

And here's this week's article from Gaming Today:

If there’s one thing experience brings, it’s patience. That credo applies more in the fickle game of horse racing than in any other. Many a thoroughbred has shown brilliance, only to disappear on the radar screen and fade into oblivion. Caution is the best approach before heralding what could turn out to be a flash in the pan as the next Secretariat.

That may not be the case with Rail Trip, a 4-year-old gelding that has had only three races, each more impressive than the last. He won his first race, at six furlongs, by 3½ lengths. He won his second race, at 6½ furlongs, by the same margin. His third victory was a jaw-dropper, winning on Jan. 30 at a mile and a sixteenth by 5½ lengths, geared down. Rail Trip never drew a deep breath.

Rail Trip has created a buzz. With two-time Horse of the Year Curlin retired, and the handicap division bereft of star power, Rail Trip could be a luminary in the making, despite the fact that he has never even started in a stakes race: Next stop: the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap on March 7.

"I’m training him like he’s going to run in that race," trainer Ron Ellis said. "Obviously, he could develop into a Breeders’ Cup horse, but that’s a long way off (Nov. 6 and 7 at Oak Tree)."

Ellis rarely gets excited about one of his horses. Caution is his byword. But Jose Valdivia Jr., who has ridden Rail Trip in each of his races, is a bit more ebullient.

"He’s definitely an exciting animal ride, just because he’s never been tested," the 35-year-old native of Peru said. "I was hoping he would get tested at some point in his last race, to see what he would do. I’ve never had to reach back and hit him, so I really don’t know what to expect of him. I’ve barely asked him to run. He’s quickened under his own power very, very effortlessly. He’s one of the most exciting horses I’ve ridden so far in my career."

 Valdivia has ridden more than 9,000 horses in a career that began in 1994.

"His talent is scary. After his first race, it seemed like the light bulb went on. He learned how to relax and now he’s very comfortable, even during his workouts. He’s never been a runoff type of horse. It’s amazing to think he’s got that kind of speed … His acceleration is unbelievable."

 Valdivia rode 2004 Horse of the Year Ghostzapper in his first race.

"I’ll never forget," he recalled. "He was laying third in a good spot, and when I turned for home, I threw a cross on him, cracked him on the shoulder and man, away he went. He went 6½ (furlongs) in like 1:14 and change. He was very impressive. I rode him second time out and he finished fourth, and it turned out he had a 101 temperature the next day. After that, Bobby Frankel took him to New York, and I never saw him again."

That shouldn’t be the case with Rail Trip, although it’s common for agents of high-profile riders to be ringing Ellis’ phone off the hook. The trainer has been loyal to Valdivia, whose business is handled by veteran agent Jim Pegram.

The lure of the breeding shed won’t curtail Rail Trip’s career, because he is a gelding, by the A.P. Indy stallion Jump Start.

"The best thing about this horse is that he’s a gelding," Valdivia said. "That means he’ll keep racing. He won’t go off to stud after this year, and he’s in great hands with Ron Ellis and the Siegels (owners Mace and his daughter, Samantha, who race as Jay Em Ess Stable).

"They’re horse lovers and they’re going to do everything in their power to take the best care of him and steer him in the right direction. I couldn’t be any happier, being part of that. The sky’s the limit, and I hope he reaches the sky."

Rail Trip didn’t make his first start until he was three, last Nov. 7 at Hollywood Park. "He was my best 2-year-old, but he had a chip in his ankle," Ellis said. "I kept trying to get him to the races, and I X-rayed him four times, but it never showed. Finally, a little flake showed and we ended up taking a chip out. I gelded him because the pedigree wasn’t there to be a stallion. We were more worried about getting a race horse than a stallion."

And right now, it sure looks like they have one.