Desert Party wins the UAE 2000 Guineas; Vineyard Haven runs poorly

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Racing Post:

Highlight of Thursday's quartet was Desert Party in the Group 3 feature. With bad vibes for Kentucky Derby favourite Vineyard Haven, Desert Party was sent off 6-5 favourite before drawing clear of another Godolphin colt Regal Ransom inside the final furlong to win going away by nearly five lengths.

The pair had occupied the same positions in a 7f conditions race three weeks previously and it was the fourth time in five years the winner of that race came on to win this UAE Classic.

A son of Street Cry, who won this in 2001 before winning the following year's Dubai World Cup, Desert Party looks a likely sort to try to go one better than his sire in the UAE Derby, where Street Cry was second to stable companion Express Tour.

Dettori, having treated the crowd to a flying dismount, explained: "Listening to the vibes among the team I had to stick withthis fellow as Vineyard Haven really was not showing much at home.

"That was perhaps down to the surface and I was concerned switched to dirt he would be a big danger. But we felt he would be ring-rusty anyway and I think that has appeared the case.

"My horse has always travelled nicely and then picked up well. The extra furlong for the UAE Derby should not be a problem and we have Midshipman as well, remember."

Dual US Grade 1 winner Vineyard Haven, keen early, lost his pitch after turning into the straight before finishing staying on into fourth.