Old Fashioned's final workout for the Southwest Stakes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Brisnet:

Trainer Larry Jones was pleased with OLD FASHIONED's (Unbridled's Song) Wednesday breeze at Oaklawn Park. In his final major work for Monday's Southwest S. (G3), the undefeated gray colt strode five furlongs in a bullet 1:00 2/5 with Terry Thompson aboard.

"He's ready to go," Jones reported. "He acted like there was nothing to it. He came back to the barn and barely was blowing and didn't drink but a gallon of water.

"We will gallop a mile or mile and a half on Friday, and then Saturday and Sunday give him an easy five-eighths gallop," he added. "We are excited and ready."

Jones also gave some insight into Old Fashioned's personality.

"When it is work time, he's ready, but after that it's naptime," the horseman said. "Naptime is leave me alone time for Old Fashioned.

"Old Fashioned is a neat horse. It's hard not to love him. Bringing him up here from Fair Grounds it was just me and him, it was bonding time. It was like I will focus on you, and you will focus on me."

Three-for-three so far in his career, Old Fashioned will be making his first start since the November 29 Remsen S. (G2). New York-based jockey Ramon Dominguez, who guided the colt to a 7 1/4-length romp in the Remsen, will make the trek to Oaklawn for the Southwest.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Just been looking at some video of Old Fashioned, while going over the Southwest. And i've gotta tell you, i'm impressed. First time i've gotten a look at him, i had only seen his PP's and the charts before now. He looks a lot better on video than he does on paper.