Free selections from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Nice winner last week with BZ Warrior ($14.40). Thought i'd give these two out today as a follow-up to my earlier Subtle Hunter post, and also because there's been a lot of interest in this Gulfstream race:

Fair Grounds - Race 9

#7 Subtle Hunter (10/1 ml)

Elusive Quality colt out of the 2yo filly champ Countess Diana recorded an average-to-slow time of 10.2 at the April Keeneland sale, but he actually HIT THE RAIL during the breeze. Rather bizarre, considering that there was no traffic there to hinder him in any way. But he looked to be moving awfully well aside from that rail incident, and clearly his time would've been MUCH faster if not for that freak mishap. He looks to have some speed, and could run big here at a big price.

Gulfstream - Race 8

#5 Alma d'Oro (4/1 ml)

This colt is one of many who improved dramatically on the barn-switch to Richard Dutrow. Not only did he win by 5 lengths last time out (earning a 90 Beyer), but it was an incredible 16 lengths from the second-place horse back to the rest of the field. He also looks to have a pace advantage here, as there doesn't appear to be much speed in the race to challenge him early. Should offer a square price also, with most of the attention being directed at the much-hyped Pletcher colt Dunkirk. Note that Garrett Gomez has flown all the way in from California to ride Dunkirk here (in a simple allowance race, no less) which says a lot. But what says even more, at least to me, is that jockey Edgar Prado (who rode Dunkirk last time out) "opted to keep his regular seat on Alma d'Oro" according to DRF's Gulfstream correspondent Mike Welsch. Expecting a good run here, and i guess so is Prado.

HRT record:

52 for 182 (29%)

$449.10 mutuels ($8.64)

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Calvin BoRAIL, is real live in this one, don't leave him off your tickets.

FB
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Ian Wilkes doesn't win very often first time out, so it's definitely worth noting when he does (such as with Capt. Candyman Can).
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Piss-poor effort by Alma d'Oro today; not sure what happened there. Looked like he had some kind of trouble on the first turn, as he went extremely wide for no apparent reason, but beyond that i didn't really see anything.

Conversely, a very nice effort by the winner Dunkirk. Final furlong of 13 seconds is nothing to get excited about, but the 1 1/8 miles races have been running pretty slow at the meet, and he was drawing away through the stretch despite the moderate clocking. I would guess he'll turn up in the Florida Derby next.

As for Subtle Hunter, he went off @ 44/1 and ran like garbage. Would've been my largest win price ever.