Rail Trip wins again

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Santa Anita website:

ARCADIA , Calif. (Feb. 20, 2009)—After beginning his career last November with three successive wins by a combined 12 ½ lengths, unbeaten 4-year-old gelding Rail Trip easily added number four on Friday in a $58,800 third-condition allowance event at Santa Anita, and afterward trainer Ron Ellis did not rule out the possibility of a start in the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap on March 7. With regular rider Jose Valdivia Jr. aboard, Jay Em Ess Stable’s Kentucky-bred son of Jump Start (by A.P. Indy), cruised to a handy 1 ¾ length victory at odds of 1-9 versus three other rivals. Booyah, with Joe Talamo aboard, finished second while never seriously testing the winner who was clocked in 1:42.11 for the 1 1/16 miles.

“I thought he ran awesome,” Ellis said after Rail Trip led from start to finish and came home strongly after setting leisurely early fractions of 48.56 for the half-mile and 1:12.32 for six furlongs.

“The field came up a little softer than I had hoped,” said Ellis. “He needed some seasoning to tackle the top horses. But he is a very gifted horse and is headed in the right direction. We’ll have to wait and see what is next.”

Ellis said he would discuss the possibility of running in the Gr. I Big ’Cap with co-owner Samantha Siegel. He noted that another option would be the $6 million Dubai World Cup on March 28, which would be three weeks later than the Santa Anita Handicap.

“We’re going to enjoy this race, see how comes out of the race, and then we’ll talk about what’s next,” said Siegel. “ Dubai ’s a long way to go. We’re just going to enjoy the win and try not to think about anything else right now."

Friday’s race seemed little more than a solid workout for the horse whose late start in racing followed surgery to remove an ankle chip. Valdivia merely shook the reigns at Rail Trip through the stretch.

“Sometimes you wish the competition was a little tougher, but he faced some well-seasoned horses today,” said Valdivia . “He’s so receptive to whatever I want to do with him, it’s incredible. Whenever I want a gear, he can give it to me…He’s the most exciting horse I’ve ever been on.”

Dixie Meister was a scratch earlier in the day. He had been installed as the 9-2 second choice on the morning line.

With no show wagering, the winner paid $2.20 and $2.10, with Booyah returning $3.40 to place.

The winning purse of $36,000 elevated Rail Trip’s earnings to $114,600.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    from Daily Racing Form:

ARCADIA, Calif. - In the hands of just about anyone else, Rail Trip would have been on the fast track to the Santa Anita Handicap following another comfortable allowance win Friday at Santa Anita. But as easy as this most recent win was, his fourth without a defeat, trainer Ron Ellis and co-owner Samantha Siegel face something far more difficult now, the decision on whether to come back in just 15 days for the Santa Anita Handicap. They seemed inclined to pass.

"Fifteen days is back pretty quick for us," said the conservative Ellis. "I'd say we're more inclined to take a long-term approach. He's just been a week or two off with the stakes schedule the whole meet."

"I asked Ron, 'Can we get them to move the Big Cap back a week?'" Siegel said, joking.

If Rail Trip bypasses the Santa Anita Handicap, Ellis said a race like the Oaklawn Handicap in April might be a possibility.

"Nothing's out of consideration," he said.

Rail Trip ($2.20) led every step of the way in the 1 1/16-mile race Friday, easily disposing of three overmatched rivals to win by 1 3/4 lengths. Jockey Jose Valdivia Jr. nursed him through fractions of 24.50 seconds, 48.56, and 1:12.32 en route to a final time of 1:42.11 on Pro-Ride. Rail Trip sped through the fourth quarter-mile of the race in 23.55 seconds. It was like a paid workout.

"I thought everything went as expected," Ellis said. "I was a little disappointed there wasn't more depth to the field to give him more of a test."

Rail Trip did not make his first start until November. He has won one race a month since.