Short piece on Saturday's impressive maiden winner Affirmatif

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Gulfstream website:

The dust wasn’t completely settled from the Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park Feb. 28 when trainer Todd Pletcher threw another 3-year-old on to the stage in a big way as the Wertheimer Brothers’ Affirmatif rolled to a nine-length victory in his career debut.

The Kentucky homebred son of Unbridled's Song won the one-mile maiden turf contest in 1:34.27 – faster by .04 than the time run by 5-year-old Pletcher-trained stablemate Twilight Meteor, who won the Canadian Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT) two races earlier.

“That was very impressive,” said Pletcher immediately after the race. “He had been training really well and we were optimistic, but you can never really know with a first-timer going long. He was bred to run long and he was training like he was going to run long. I wouldn’t have any problem running back in a stakes after that.”

The win was also the first at Gulfstream for jockey Chris DeCarlo since his return from shoulder surgery.

Pletcher also saw Starlight Racing Partners’ Take the Points finish second to The Pamplemouse in the Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Feb. 28. And he is expected to send another Unbridled’s Song colt, Dunkirk, into the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) March 28.

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I Didnt Get To C The Race But 134 .1 Thats Racehorse Time This Has To Be A Nice Horse Who Is He Out Of On The Backend Anyone Know.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I caught the race and he looked good on the turn he was near the lead or on the lead and he just strided out like a good one.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Affirmatif is out of an Affirmed mare named Wichitoz.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Florentino (JPN) ran a 1.34.2 on Sunday and won by 3, with Garcia in the Irons. I think the weeds at the stream are a little baked right now.

FB
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Florentino Was Not A First Time Starter Fb Pretty Good Race By A Firster On Baked Or Any Surface For That Matter.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    peacerules wrote: »
    Florentino Was Not A First Time Starter Fb Pretty Good Race By A Firster On Baked Or Any Surface For That Matter.

I agree, I was watching the race and said this one could be a black type winner and added him straight to my stable mail. Then on Sunday I was watching and saw Florentino run a strong time and said it might of been how hard the surface was.