Gotham Stakes play from Discreet Picks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Aqueduct - Race 9

#8 I Want Revenge (3/1 ml)

Hard-knocking California shipper figures to be overlooked here despite the short morning-line price, as most of the hype surrounding this race has been directed at Mr. Fantasy. Morning-line favorite Imperial Council and 3-time local stakes winner Haynesfield also figure to attract a lot of support, so it's possible I Want Revenge goes off as low as 4th-choice here. Regarding his credentials, he comes off a close third to the upper-echelon Derby contender Pioneerof the Nile after looking every bit a winner coming off the turn. Rider Talamo even stated in his post-race quotes (found on the Santa Anita website) that he "wasn't wondering if he was going to win, but rather by how much" or something to that effect. Talamo has speculated that I Want Revenge wasn't able to dig in very well on the Pro-Ride, and thinks perhaps the switch to dirt will help. Could well have been a surface issue, because I Want Revenge was able to finish quite strongly at the identical distance when just missing to Pioneerof the Nile (a second time) back at Hollywood Park. I Want Revenge also happened to beat Chocolate Candy that day, who has returned to win two straight stakes @ Golden Gate. Back to I Want Revenge's most recent effort though, take note that the other horse who beat him in the Bob Lewis Stakes was Papa Clem , who is heading to the Louisiana Derby next weekend as one of the favorites. Papa Clem was coming into the Bob Lewis off a maiden win over Mayor Marv, who returned to win next time out, then shipped out of town to win the Turf Paradise Derby. Mayor Marv had also run second to The Pamplemousse back at Hollywood Park. So as you can see, I Want Revenge has been keeping nothing but top-class company for a while now, and has not been disgraced by any means. Figures to offer solid value here vs. horses with lesser credentials. Dirt is obviously an unknown factor, but that will only help the price.

HRT record:

52 for 186 (28%)

$449.10 mutuels ($8.64 avg)

Comments

• edited March 2009
    D.c. If He Takes To That Track He Will Eat This Field Alive..the N.y. Breds Are Going Down Hard Today..
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    will take my chances with # 5....mr. fantasy
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    talamo was right he loved the dirt today....
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited March 2009
    Nice call D.C.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    nice dc
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Sharp win by I Want Revenge @ $8.30

Watch out for Papa Clem next weekend...
    edited March 2009
    The West Coast Shippers Are Dangerous This Year...on Another Note I Know Ieah Is A Little Upset At Stardum Bound Had To Be Fully Extended Today To Get There By A Nose....they Better Find Her A Soft Spot Next Out To Save Her For The Oaks..
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Great call. I boxed the exacta with I Want revenge-Imperial Council-Masala. I played Masala flat. I played this race when the windows first opened yesterday before the first race. then worked all day. If i thought that you would be able to get 3-1 on this horse I might of changed my mind but anyways good call. As for Stardum Bound I think she was all out cause she was like 8+ wide coming around the far turn. Derby fever is here and Im loving it
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    DUNCO

A Word To The Wise Usually They Don't Come Right Back After A Race Like That I Am Sure It Took A Lot Out Of Him To Do What He Did Plus I Think They Should Shorten Him Up And Add Blinkers. Please Make A Post When You See Him Out Again . The Horse I Thought Also Ran Big Was Papa Clem He Came Out Of A 1:14 3/5 Race And Looked The Winner In The Eye Most Of The Race And Took A Short Lead In The Streach,i Am Not Sure If It Was His First Time With Blinkers His Turn To Win Is Comming Up Soon. Other Horses To Keep An Eye On Is Pletcher's Idol Maker I Think Todd Is Not Pushing Him In The Remsen He Looked Like He Running A Workout Looks In Need Of Blinkers But Again 2yo And 1-1/8 Your Asking A Lot. Two More That I Saw Over The Weekend Was In The Cigar Mile Bribon Checked Hard And Arson Squad Brothered By Wandering Boy. But No More Grade 1
    edited March 2009
    hey I just took a peek at the futures on pool one and saw I WANT REVENGE sittng at 54-1...I bet you them people who played him have a big grin on there faces.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I was out shopping for futures after the race. Best I found was 20/1. I passed.
  • edited March 2009
    AGAIN AN easy win against no competition...im waiting for DUNKIRKS florida derby showing before i start bridge jumping......right now its a GIACOMO derby in my mind.....THE plot thickens in the next 3 weeks.....
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    AGAIN AN easy win against no competition...im waiting for DUNKIRKS florida derby showing before i start bridge jumping......right now its a GIACOMO derby in my mind.....THE plot thickens in the next 3 weeks.....

You are way out of context in that statement on this will be a Giacomo derby, Giacomo had only won a maiden race and was just a plain fluke. This years crop of horses are by far superior than Giacomo. Dunkirks will face a small field and in the Fla. derby and I just plain hope he wins the race as he will be the now horse going into the Ky. Derby and if he wins the Fla. Derby he will beat a decent field off just two races. Can't wait.

FB
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    DC,

That was an excellent write up and result....too bad I didn't see it until after the fact...
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    IT HARD TO THINK THE DERBY WILL BE WON BY THE BEST HORSE SEEING THERE WILL BE TWENTY NAGS RUNNING AND NOT KNOWING IF THE TRACK WILL BE WET WHICH WILL ILL:wacko: LIMB -IN AINT ALL THE WEST COAST BUMS THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT KY MUD IS KIND OF LOOKS LIKE SHIT TO THEM, I SAY LETS SEE WHAT COMING IN FROM OVERSEAS I THINK THEY CAN SHIP IN A FILLIE TO BEAT THIS BUNCH , UNLESS YOUR A BUY-HER .....GROUPIE , BUT I'M SURE YOUR NOT :nono: ..............DUAL QUALIFIER:thumbup1: OR FILLIE SHIPPER WAKE UP WORLD THE DERBY IS EASY PICKINGS , BRING IN ANOTHER SHIP:yes: