Sweet "revenge" on dirt

TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Originally posted in herald-leader.com

Whether I Want Revenge emerges as most talented horse to come out of California this year remains to be seen.

However, the son of Stephen Got Even has already cleared what figures to be the most daunting obstacle facing most of his West Coast counterparts on the Kentucky Derby trail.

When the California Horse Racing Board mandated all major California tracks have a synthetic surface by 2008, it tossed a new wrinkle into the art of analyzing Derby contenders. Last year's race featured a handful of horses that were untested on dirt prior to the first Saturday of May.

The next dozen: Dunkirk, Vineyard Haven, Capt. Candyman Can, General Quarters, Giant Oak, West Side Bernie, Theregoesjojo, Flying Pegasus, Regal Ransom, Big Drama, Imperial Council, Mr. Fantasy. The results for those 3-year-olds were not so good. Colonel John's sixth-place finish was the highest of those horses trying dirt for the first time.

Not wanting to fall victim to that stat, the connections of I Want Revenge opted to ship him cross-country for a start in the Grade III Gotham Stakes over the dirt at Aqueduct Saturday. They were rewarded with some peace of mind when he rolled to an 81/2-length victory in the race.

Despite performing well over synthetic surfaces, including a narrow loss in the Grade I CashCall Futurity, both trainer Jeff Mullins and jockey Joe Talamo felt I Want Revenge would be more comfortable on conventional dirt.

Indeed, the dark bay colt showcased a more formidable turn of foot in the Gotham. He easily accelerated to put away Mr. Fantasy in the stretch — unlike his third-place run in the Robert B. Lewis when he looked like a winner coming off the turn but couldn't sustain his kick in the lane.

Pioneerof the Nile still has the edge over I Want Revenge, having defeated him twice, and his pedigree suggests he too should handle a dirt surface.

But with Pioneerof the Nile slated to prep exclusively in California, I Want Revenge has one less question mark hanging over him and could be the West Coast invader to watch should they all make it to the starting gate on Derby Day.

Speaking of West Coast contenders, it now sounds unlikely that champion filly Stardom Bound will face males in the Santa Anita Derby on April 4 after her squeaker of a win in the Grade I Santa Anita Oaks on Saturday.

Although she didn't win with the ease her connections had hoped, Stardom Bound's triumph was more impressive than its narrow margin would have one believe.

The daughter of Tapit was forced extremely wide as she advanced around the turn and then had to shift in mid-stride in the stretch to avoid the bumper-car action taking place inside of her.

Despite all that, jockey Mike Smith said "she put her ears up and she was playing with the pony coming back," suggesting the race didn't take as much out of her as some would think.

Few will blame her connections if they err on the side of caution and keep Stardom Bound going against the fillies, but she by no means lost any stature this past weekend.

THE DERBY DOZEN

1. Old Fashioned: Posted a bullet work in his tuneup for Saturday's Grade II Rebel Stakes, covering five furlongs in :59 flat on Sunday.

2. Friesan Fire: Breezed five furlongs in 1:01.40 at Fair Grounds last Monday in preparation for Saturday's Grade II Louisiana Derby. He is slated to work again today.

3. Pioneerof the Nile: Lit up the Santa Anita track Sunday morning when he covered five furlongs in :58.80 in preparation for the Grade II San Felipe Stakes Saturday. The work was the fastest of 85 moves at the distance.

4. Desert Party: Trivia time: The last horse to win the UAE Derby — Desert Party's next target — and come back to run in the Kentucky Derby was Essence of Dubai, who finished ninth on the first Saturday in May in 2002.

5. The Pamplemousse: While the results from this year's juvenile sales have been down, as expected, this son of Kafwain is proof of the quality that can emerge. He was purchased for $150,000 at the 2008 Ocala Breeders' Sales March auction and has earned $180,000 in his two wins this season alone.

6. Quality Road: Likely to remain in Florida for the Grade I Florida Derby on March 28.

7. I Want Revenge: Had a pretty easy time of it on the front end with the tepid fractions in the Gotham Stakes, but you still have to be impressed with the way he drew off in the lane.

8. Hello Broadway: Covered six furlongs in 1:14.60 at Gulfstream Park on March 4 in preparation for the Grade III Tampa Bay Derby on Saturday.

9. Chocolate Candy: Another contender firing bullets. The son of Candy Ride worked six furlongs in 1.12:60 at Golden Gate Fields on Sunday, the fastest of 13 moves at the distance.

10. Beethoven: Likely to resurface in the Florida Derby, but he'll need to leave himself with less to do if he hopes to close successfully over the Gulfstream Park track.

11. Patena: Michael Iavarone, president of owners IEAH Stables, said this week trainer Rick Dutrow was "over the moon" about the son of Seeking the Gold heading into the Louisiana Derby. "He's really coming along the right way, and I think he's everybody's wise-guy horse right now," Iavarone said. "Hopefully they're right."

12. Stardom Bound: Not sure if she will go on to face the boys after that hard-fought effort in the Santa Anita Oaks but still think she deserves a shot.