Beyer figures and the East Coast bias

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Has anyone noticed the severe East Coast bias from the Beyer people regarding this year's 3yo crop? It seems that if you win a 3yo stakes race on the East Coast, you receive a 110+ Beyer (Notonthesamepage 114, This One's For Phil 116, Quality Road 113, I Want Revenge 113).

Meanwhile, The Pamplemousse destroys the field in the Sham Stakes (in fast time), and receives a 103. Pioneerof the Nile didn't even break a hundred for his impressive win in the Bob Lewis Stakes, receiving a 94. I Want Revenge received a 91 for that race, btw.

So now I Want Revenge wins a stakes race on the East Coast, and his Beyer jumps by 22 points? That's bull. While it's true that he probably moved up on the dirt, he's not suddenly 20 points better than he was before. And there's NO WAY that he's suddenly 20 points better than Pioneerof the Nile.

Are the East Coast horses that much better than the California horses? Absolutely not. Are they better at all? Highly doubtful. I Want Revenge took a big step towards proving that.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    D.C. I HAVE been telling friends of mine for years about beyer numbers that are made up by one individual at each track....when im handicapping i look at them but never do i make my picks off beyer numbers..i used to watch andy at gulfstream everyday back in the early 1991-1994-..after each race there was a big screen t.v. in the clubhouse to view the replays he would get his bald head about 6-10 inches from the screen with a clipboard and pencil and be making marks for every race that day,and each and every day..i thought he was a little whacky.....then....
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I agree with you dc..When I saw the mousse run that day I thought for sure he was going to get atleast a 110.....I saw the quality road beyer first and when I saw 103 I said what the f**k this is bull..I believe it is because of the surface because all of the east coast tracks are dirt.....I dont even look at that no more. I just focus on the time and track variant.....