The Kentucky Oaks will NOT be shown on ESPN this year

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Left at the Gate:

Churchill Downs VP John Asher, speaking of ESPN's decision to dump its Kentucky Oaks coverage, told the Thoroughbred Times: “As I understand it, they’ve just decided to pull back a bit on the racing coverage." A bit? Last year, according to the article, the network, who just flat out lied when it told of its commitment to the sport when it signed up for the Breeders' Cup, had "a total of 11 live hours during Derby week, including an hour for the post-position draw on Wednesday and three hours on Oaks day on Friday." Now they're down to five hours on Derby day.

A typical Friday afternoon of ESPN programming might consist of a couple hours of Sports Center, and half hours of Jim Rome is Burning, NFL Live (yes, even this time of year), and the hideous Pardon the Interruption. So you see just how much of a priority racing is.

Meanwhile, the race will be televised by Bravo, which already had an Oaks day program scheduled, likely something along the lines of the Real Housewives of Louisville meets a Top Chef to find a Top Model to eat out (with) and shop for a Derby Day hat. And you laugh at me when I say that racing should be on Versus?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    DC......................I LAUGHED when i read that this morning and im laughing at scotty lake filing for bankruptcy also....DYING---DYING----DEAD GAME.................................
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    out of oil need more oil!!!!