Mafaaz now guaranteed a spot in the Derby (if they choose to run)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

After sweeping two Breeders’ Cup races last fall, English trainer John Gosden now has a shot at United States racing’s signature event with Mafaaz, who delivered in the $112,304 Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes on Wednesday at Kempton Park.

Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum’s Medicean colt held off Spring of Fame by a neck to earn the only automatic berth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1).

Churchill Downs sponsored the Derby Challenge on the Kempton synthetic Polytrack surface for the first time this year as part of an effort to boost European interest in the Kentucky Derby. The rest of the Derby field will be determined by graded stakes earnings. Sheikh Hamdan also stands to receive a $100,000 bonus if Mafaaz runs in the Kentucky Derby.

Mafaaz was among the early nominees to the United States Triple Crown. Racing with blinkers for the first time, he tracked just behind pacesetter Sohcahtoa under jockey Richard Hills and drove to the front inside the final furlong in the clockwise race. He held off Spring of Fame at the wire and completed 1 1/8 miles in 1:55.17.

"Obviously, we'll have to discuss it, but Sheikh Hamdan is a great supporter of American racing and he now has the opportunity to go to Kentucky,” said Gosden, who finished 12th in the 1986 Kentucky Derby with Zabaleta. “He's a nice, solid horse who has been working well and the blinkers have helped. He's always lacked a bit of focus. He's a tough cookie and is arrogant. He's not a pussycat and has got the right attitude.”

Mafaaz scored at Kempton in his debut on September 10 and then finished fifth to stablemate Donativum (GB) in the Tatersalls Timeform Millions on October 4 at Newmarket in his only other start. Donativum went on to win the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf, and Gosden’s other Breeders’ Cup starter, Raven’s Pass, prevailed in the $5-million Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1).

Gosden confirmed that he would consider sending Mafaaz to Keeneland Race Course for the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) on April 11.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    from Bloodhorse:

Sheikh Hamdan’s Mafaaz held off a trio of horses at the wire to win the $115,000 Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes at England’s Kempton Park March 18 and earned an automatic berth in the $2 million Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) on May 2.

Trainer John Gosden said after the race that Mafaaz likely will now be sent to Keeneland for the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).

"I've got him in the Blue Grass Stakes, which is a big Derby trial over a mile and an eighth on the same surface as this, and from there it's only a van drive to Churchill Downs," Gosden told The Racing Post. "If he wins there and is in good order he'll go there (to the Kentucky Derby), and if he runs there that's where I'll be, even though it's Guineas weekend. It's where I started, and I'd want to be there."

Gosden added: "This is a great concept - very bold - and the more international our outlook the better. Any initiative like this must be supported."

Asked if jockey Richard Hills would stay on the colt in the Blue Grass, he said: "He flew back from Dubai just for this, so I would think so."

This was the first year that a clear path to the Kentucky Derby has been offered to the winner of a race. In addition to the automatic berth, a $100,000 bonus will be offered to the connections of Mafaaz if they decide to run in the American classic.

Mafaaz was making just the third start of his career and his first as a 3-year-old. The son of Medicean stayed close to the pace in the 1 1/8-mile contest on Kempton’s all-weather surface and chased the leader, Sohcahtoa, at the top of the lane. Mafaaz finally edged clear of Sohcahtoa in deep stretch, but as they approached the wire he also had to hold off Spring of Fame, who was charging hard on the outside. The chestnut colt hung on for a narrow victory in a final time of 1:55.13.

Mikael Magnusson trainee Spring of Fame finished second in a four-way photo, followed by Sohcahtoa.

Mafaaz, who went off as the 11-2 favorite, broke his maiden at first asking last September at Kempton going seven furlongs. The following month, he was fifth, but only two lengths in back of eventual Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf winner Donativum, in the Tattersall’s Millions Race at Newmarket, also at seven furlongs.

Mafaaz was bred in England by The Complimentary Pass Partnership and is out of the Danehill mare Complimentary Pass. He was an $853,314 purchase at the Tattersall’s October 2007 yearling sale.