How Much Do You Think?????

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Headlines | Posted 3/21/2009, 9:42 pm
Deal in works for a share of I Want Revenge
By Jay Privman
A sale is imminent for half of I Want Revenge, the runaway winner of last month's Gotham Stakes at Aqueduct, owner David Lanzman confirmed on Saturday. The Gotham was the first race on dirt for I Want Revenge, who is trained in California by Jeff Mullins

"There's a lot of stuff going on. I can't say exactly what yet," Lanzman said when reached by phone in California. "All I can say is that I will retain control of the horse, and Jeff will not lose the horse."

Although Lanzman would not confirm any parties involved in the negotiations, Michael Iavarone, the co-president of the IEAH Stables syndicate that won last year's Kentucky Derby with Big Brown, confirmed that he is in negotiations with Lanzman regarding I Want Revenge.

"I think it would be premature to say a deal is done," Iavarone said by telephone. "I've been speaking with him. We're very interested in the horse, as we should be. But nothing's done yet. I don't want to jump the gun. We're very interested. Extremely interested. And hopeful."

IEAH's best Derby prospects have disappointed this spring. Patena finished eighth of nine in the Louisiana Derby on March 14 in his first start since being purchased by IEAH. And the champion filly Stardom Bound, purchased last fall for $5.7 million, was taken out of consideration for the Derby after struggling to beat fillies in the Santa Anita Oaks.

Lanzman said he was looking to sell 50 percent of the colt, giving him a chance to make a profit, while still retaining his dream of running a leading contender in the Kentucky Derby.

"He's worth so much money now, it would be foolish not to take something off the table," said Lanzman, who owns a mortgage business in Los Angeles.

I Want Revenge, by Stephen Got Even out of the Roy mare Meguial, was bred by Lanzman. He has won twice in seven starts and has earned $366,000. I Want Revenge is scheduled to make his next start in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 4.

Joe Talamo has ridden I Want Revenge in his last five starts. Before his 6 1/2-length victory in the Gotham, I Want Revenge was third in the Robert Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita to Pioneerof the Nile. He also lost by a nose to Pioneerof the Nile in the CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park in December.

SO HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IEAH IS PUTTING UP FOR HALF??????

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Well, the connections of Win Willy reportedly turned down an offer of $3 million for their horse, which is widely speculated to have cone from IEHA. I assume that offer was for 100% of the horse, but who knows.

With I Want Revenge being the more highly-regarded (and accompished) of the two, I would have to guess his price would be higher. Call it at least $4 million, and then cut it in half because of the 50% ownership. And apparently Mullins/Lanzman retain control of the horse, something IEHA wouldn't be too happy with, so that probably needs to be factored in as well. My guess is somewhere around $2 million, perhaps a little more. Depends how desperate they are, LOL.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    dual qualifier