Florida Derby play from Discreet Picks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Gulfstream - Race 10

#2 Quality Road (2/1 ml)

Impressive Fountain of Youth winner sat off blazing early fractions and yet was still pulling away at the end, finishing 4 lengths in front of Theregoesjojo (who in turn finished another 4 lengths ahead of everyone else). As such, Quality Road looks to hold a clear pace advantage here, particularly with the fractions figuring to be much slower here on the stretchout to two turns. I'm not concerned with potential pace foes Casey's on Call or the Pletcher "rabbit" Europe, as Quality Road proved last time that he can sit off the pace if need be. That also bodes well for his chances of getting the extra distance here, as looks capable of relaxing in a stalking position (again, particularly with the slower pace). Holds the class-edge on Dunkirk, and looks set to run another big one here. Btw, much has been made of the fact that Dunkirk needs to win this race in order to make the Derby, but Quality Road is currently on the bubble himself, and definitely needs some earnings as well. Plus the Florida Derby is a prestigious Grade 1 race in it's own right, so there's little doubt Quality Road will be cranked here. Short morning line of course, but obviously we can count on Dunkirk to pull a whole lot of money. Speaking of which, it would be wise not to forget about #6 Theregoesjojo. I picked him in the Fountain of Youth, and he did run very well that day, launching a strong rally from off the pace to go well clear for second. He's bred to route, he's been finishing well, and there's no reason that he shouldn't run well again. I can't pick him over Quality Road, but it appears he'll be overlooked (and undervalued) here, and he looks every bit as good as Dunkirk from where i'm sitting. Could make for a nice exacta partner.

HRT record:

53 for 189 (28%)

$457.40 mutuels ($8.64 avg)

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    Never Been The Distance Or Two Turns Adds Weight No Value Should Bounce Just The Kind Of Horse I Look To Beat. Do You Have Any More?
  • edited March 2009
    Dunco I Agree Im Jumping On The Dunkirk Bandwagon And Expecting An Earth Shattering Performance That Will Have Him Instilled As Kentucky Derby Co Favorite With Old Fashioned---i Want Revenge.....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Why don't you think there will be any value, when Dunkirk is going to be bet thru the floor? You don't need 5/1 in order to have value.

I do think it's possible that the most value will be found on Theregoesjojo, and I said as much. I think Quality Road is the most likely winner however, and if he goes off as second-choice, that's good enough for me. I'm expecting a big run today.
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited March 2009
    Nice call!!
    edited March 2009
    Quality Road wins @ $4.40

Btw, did you guys notice the late odds-drop? According to the ESPN replay, Quality Road was 8/5 when he passed the half-mile pole. As he approached the 6-furlong mark, he suddenly dropped from 8/5 down to 6/5 (moving right past 3/2 and 7/5 in the process). And the win pool for the Florida Derby isn't exactly small.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Yeah i noticed that also. I seen the horse at 3-1 not that close to post. Nice call anyways. You like Pletchers comments after the race. He was pissed
    edited March 2009
    He had a right to be upset. The track was obviously souped up, and it did give an advantage to the speed types. That being said, Dunkirk drew alongside Quality Road into the lane, and had every chance to win. He was simply outkicked to the wire by Quality Road.
    edited March 2009
    Btw, I loved the excuse provided by the Gulfstream people on the ESPN broadcast.

"It rained last week"

Yeah, that must be it.......LOL
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    Somebody Must Of Looked Under The Hood And Seen The Nitro, Track Record Wow!!! Big Drama Off A Lay Off Track Record Wow And Wow
  • WynnBigWynnBig Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Nice call. Hit the trifecta straight (2-4-6.) Originally, had Dunkirk on top then moved Quality Road to win. Thanx for the info !

Wynn
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited March 2009
    too bad the tri paid so little but still much better than not hitting like my ticket