Regal Ransom wins UAE Derby; Desert Party second

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Regal Ransom repelled the challenge of his better-fancied stablemate Desert Party to take top honours in the UAE Derby at Nad Al Sheba.

The latter was sent off the 2-5 market leader on the back of two course successes earlier in the year and moved menacingly into third soon after turning for home in the hands of Frankie Dettori.

Once asked to pick up Regal Ransom, however, his response was not immediate.

By contrast, the 16-1 chance, ridden by Alan Garcia, galloped all the way to the line to give Godolphin another 1-2 after Two Step Salsa was chased home by Gayego in the Godolphin Mile.

Although a good result for the Godolphin team, it was a blow to Desert Party's potential tilt at the Kentucky Derby.

Racing manager Simon Crisford said: "I don't think Desert Party was quite at his best.

"He didn't pick up when Frankie asked him. Both ran superb races and both are contenders for the Kentucky Derby.

"Regal Ransom was working well and has always shown a lot of speed. He had the run of the race and kicked clear in the straight.

"Both are world-class colts and we will make a decision nearer the time.

"We might run one in the Kentucky Derby and leave the other for the Preakness Stakes, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

"We are just very pleased to have two world-class horses."

Garcia said: "I can't describe this feeling right now.

"I was always very comfortable with my horse and when I gave him the stick for a second time, he just kept ticking for home."

Dettori was disappointed with his mount's performance.

He added: "You can win by four and a half lengths on this horse, but this time he was just flat."