Well Armed takes the Dubai World Cup

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Last year's third Well Armed went two places better with a quite devastating display in the Dubai World Cup at Nad Al Sheba.

The Eoin Harty-trained 10-1 chance bounced out of the stalls under Aaron Gryder and was always travelling well within himself at the head of affairs.

Once given the office by his jockey, the American raider simply powered clear in the straight.

Gryder could even afford time to give his mount a few slaps down the neck as he approached the line, a mile clear of runner-up Gloria De Campeao.

Pascal Bary's French raider stayed on strongly but still finished 14 lengths adrift of Well Armed.

Paris Perfect (66-1) was third, while Mike de Kock's Asiatic Boy, runner-up to Curlin 12 months ago, was the big disappointment of the race.

The South African star was scrubbed along by Johnny Murtagh long before the turn for home.

Albertus Maximus, the much-vaunted American entire, also finished out of the frame.

Gryder said: "This horse has showed the world just how good he really is. "It's an honour to win the last ever race at Nad Al Sheba.

"I liked the way he settled this year. I dropped the reins and he wasted no energy.

"This is an unbelievable experience - I'm so blessed and I love this game."

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    the last show of the season for "jockeys" was about well armed....i had him but not enought!!!!!