Final blowouts for the Santa Anita Derby contenders

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Larry Zap's You Tube page:

YouTube - who do you like...Santa Anita Derby 2009

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009

Pampelmousse wins this race and exposes the problem with Pioneer of the Nile.... he is just too slow. California horses are again below average and will matter little in the Derby. The winner of the Santa Anita has not won the Derby in 20 years. It may be another 20 before they do it again.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    The pamplemousse will win this even though they threw a rabbit in the race....Draynay this is one of the strongest years for cali 3yo's. You cant always go on stats either because the year when the ny bred gelding funny cide won...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Silver Charm won the Derby, and i think he missed by a nose to Free House in the Santa Anita Derby. Fusaichi Pegasus was California-based, as was Giacomo. Santa Anita Derby winner Point Given was a big favorite in the Derby, then went on to win the Preakness and Belmont. Caifornia-based Congaree ran a huge race in the Derby that same year.

Going by Draynay's logic, I Want Revenge could win the Derby this year, and it would be another example of the failure of California horses.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited April 2009
    Agree with DC. I've always felt the So Cal based horses were as strong as any. Not mentioned was 1992 SA Derby winner A.P. Indy who had to scratch day of race but won the Belmont and Horse of the Year as a 3-year old. My only concern now is with the new synthetic surface, top contenders may choose to train and race elsewhere.

Has any horse won a major prep on a non-dirt surface and won the Derby? I guess the Blue Grass has been run on synthetic for a while now?

Edward
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Street Sense won the Derby in 2007 after a final prep in the Blue Grass over Keeneland's polytrack surface. Hard Spun ran second that same year, after a final prep in the Lane's End over Turfway's polytrack surface.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    pioneer of the nile will go 4 wide again and still beat this bunch of want-to -bees, please tell me the last three year old that went five wide and won a grade 2 and by the way in that race the Wood superstar ran third and moved to NY
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    The pamplemousse will win this even though they threw a rabbit in the race....Draynay this is one of the strongest years for cali 3yo's. You cant always go on stats either because the year when the ny bred gelding funny cide won...

It looked like the Pamplemousse show but with the Z Day rabbit in the race I am going with Mr. Hot Stuff. Z Day is faster than the Pamplemousse and if he chases Z Day the race could fall apart.

I am going with Mr. Hot Stuff for the upset.:wonder:
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    The Pamplemousse will pull beside Z Day and tell him " This is not Z Day for you".