Talamo touting I Want Revenge

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Jockey Joe Talamo expects another big effort when Grade 3 winner I Want Revenge makes his second career start on a dirt surface on Saturday in the $750,000 Wood Memorial Stakes (G1), a 1 1/8-mile race for three-year-old classic hopefuls at Aqueduct.

I Want Revenge enters off an 8 1/2-length romp in the Gotham Stakes (G3) in his first start on dirt on March 7 at the Jamaica, New York, track.

“It’s an unbelievable confidence boost,” Talamo said. “A lot of people don’t know but he wasn’t even tired when he pulled up after that race. He wasn’t even blowing. He acted like he went out for a morning workout. You wouldn’t know how incredible that was for a three-year-old.”

I Want Revenge made his first six career starts on synthetic surfaces in California for trainer Jeff Mullins and finished second in the 2008 CashCall Futurity (G1) at Hollywood Park. The Stephen Got Even colt out of Meguial (Arg), by Roy, was shipped to the East Coast for the Gotham after posting a third-place finish in the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (G2) on February 7 on Santa Anita’s Pro-Ride surface.

“Pedigree was the main reason we tried the Gotham,” Mullins said. “There is a feeling that synthetic surfaces are like turf, and I Want Revenge’s dam loved turf but couldn’t stand up on dirt. His sire loved dirt and that convinced us to try the Gotham.”

The Wood Memorial will be the final prep for I Want Revenge prior to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) on May 2 at Churchill Downs. Graded stakes earnings determine starters for the first leg of the Triple Crown if more than 20 horses are entered.

I Want Revenge currently ranks 11th among Kentucky Derby contenders with $324,000 in graded stakes earnings.

“We’re looking for a big effort out of him. Obviously, we want to win,” Talamo said. “I’m just hoping if he can run a great race it will be perfect to set him up for the Derby.”

I Want Revenge drew the inside starting spot in a field of eight for the Wood Memorial, which also includes Gotham runner-up Imperial Council. Talamo said breaking from the starting gate near the inside rail could be a benefit for I Want Revenge.

“There’s a little bit of speed outside of us. Most likely we’ll just let the speed go,” Talamo said. “He’s such a versatile horse, that’s what I love about him. He can be on the lead and win or he can be dead last. Anywhere on the track, he always finishes the last part.”

Shug McGaughey trains Imperial Council, who entered the Gotham off a two-length victory in a 6 1/2-furlong allowance race on February 14 at Gulfstream Park.

“He ran a big race in the Gotham,” McGaughey said. “It was his first time around two turns, and it was definitely a step up from allowance company.”

Other Wood contenders include Grade 3 winner West Side Bernie, graded stakes-placed winners Atomic Rain and Lime Rickey, and stakes-placed winner Cellar Dweller.

Kelly Breen trains West Side Bernie and Atomic Rain, the runner-up in the 2008 Remsen Stakes (G2) at Aqueduct. West Side Bernie finished sixth in the Lane’s End Stakes (G2) in his previous start on Turfway Park’s synthetic Polytrack surface on March 21.

“I have no idea why he ran the way he did in the Lane’s End,” Breen said. “That was the first race he’s ever run where he didn’t fire.”

Lime Rickey has raced exclusively on turf during a nine-start career that includes one win and four runner-up finishes. The Lemon Drop Kid colt enters off a runner-up finish in the Palm Beach Stakes (G3) on March 14 at Gulfstream.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    That Little Cajun Better Not Eat Any Gumbo Friday Night...lol..