"Informal backstretch poll" on the Santa Anita Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Santa Anita website:

HORSEMEN FANCY ‘BIG THREE’ IN SANTA ANITA DERBY

The Pamplemousse, Pioneerof the Nile and Chocolate Candy—the three morning line choices—dominated selections made by local horsemen in an informal backstretch poll on Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000 Santa Anita Derby, which drew a field of 10 going a mile and an eighth.

Retired Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, now an analyst for HRTV and NBC-TV, who won the Santa Anita Derby a record nine times: “It’s a good race. Some people think The Pamplemousse has a bad post (No. 10). I think he’s got a great draw on the outside. With the speed horse, Z Day, on the inside (No. 2), The Pamplemousse can sit off him. If Z Day goes crazy, The Pamplemousse can kind of control the race. I think he’s ratable.

“Chocolate Candy drew great in the one hole. He can save ground, and he’s going to have to find the gaps, but he’s got good acceleration.

“Pioneerof the Nile, it doesn’t look like he’s got any holes in him. He can sit wherever he needs to. He’s drawn good in the four hole and Garrett (Gomez) can pretty much do what he wants.

“Eoin Harty’s on fire right now (winning the $6 million Dubai World Cup last Saturday). It wouldn’t take much for Mr. Hot Stuff to turn the tables, so it’s a wide open race. Tactically, Garret and Alex (Solis, rider of The Pamplemousse) may think they’re in a match race and it may set things up for Chocolate Candy.”

So, who would Stevens ride, going for Santa Anita Derby No. 10? “I’d flip a coin between Chocolate Candy and Pioneerof the Nile.”

Barry Abrams: “I love The Pamplemousse.”

A.C. Avila: “Chocolate Candy. The horse is improving. He’s got confidence, and I don’t like Pamplemousse’s workout (six furlongs March 25 in 1:13).”

Rafael Beccera: “Chocolate Candy. I think he’ll come from off the pace.”

David Bernstein: “I like The Pamplemousse on a speed-favoring track like this at a mile and an eighth. I like Pioneerof the Nile and Chocolate Candy for the trifecta.”

Patrick Biancone: “Pioneerof the Nile, because I think he’s the one who’s worked the best. He’s a good horse, and all he does is win.”

Jack Carava: “Chocolate Candy looked good the other day. I definitely like the way he worked.”

Jim Cassidy: “It’s a tough race, but I kind of like Chocolate Candy.”

Ron Ellis: “I wasn’t impressed with Pioneerof the Nile the other day. The Pamplemousse just keeps surprising me. I didn’t think he’d ever be able to go a mile and an eighth (winning the Sham Stakes by six lengths), being by Kafwain. I haven’t really looked at the race, but it should be interesting.”

Carla Gaines: “I like The Pamplemousse. I just like the horse.”

Greg Gilchrist: “It looks pretty wide open. I’ve heard stories that The Pamplemousse is not doing well; I don’t know. That’s just a story I heard. I think you’d have to like Pioneerof the Nile.”

Peter Eurton: “I love Pamplemousse. He’s my favorite. He’s everybody’s favorite, isn’t he? I think the post position is great for him. If anybody wants to go with him, they’re going to have to do it on the inside. You couldn’t have asked for any better post going a mile and an eighth.”

Dan Hendricks: “There should be hot fractions with The Pamplemousse out on the lead. It sets up good for Pioneerof the Nile. It could go one-two like that.”

David Hofmans: “Chocolate Candy. I like the way he’s been running, training, and I think there’s going to be a little heat in there to set it up for him.”

Mike Machowsky: “Pioneerof the Nile is the horse to beat. I haven’t been impressed with the way The Pamplemousse has been training, and Chocolate Candy is kind of unproven running against these type of horses.”

Mark Molina: “I’m rooting for Eoin (Harty, Mr. Hot Stuff). I’ve watched him gallop out after his race. I think he’s a bit immature, but if he gets the right pace, he’ll make a big run.”

Frank Monteleone: “I want The Pamplemousse to win, but I think because of the ‘rabbit,’ (Z Day), that Pioneerof the Nile’s got a better chance.”

Steve Knapp: “Pioneerof the Nile. He hasn’t done anything wrong. Each race, he seems to get a little better. I think he’s going to win the race.”

Eric Kruljac: “It looks like an exciting race with those three. It’s hard to draw any conclusive opinion. They all have an equal chance. You’ve got to like Chocolate Candy for a lot of reasons.”

Gary Mandella: “Chocolate Candy. He’s done well here and he might get the jump on Bob’s horse (Pioneerof the Nile) and that might be the difference.”

Richard Mandella: “I don’t know which of the three would be better. They all have a pretty good shot, I’d say. It makes for an interesting race.”

Ron McAnally: “Chocolate Candy. His sire (Candy Ride) is a horse we trained for the Craigs, and they’ve always been first-class owners. But I would be OK if The Pamplemousse or Pioneerof the Nile won, too.

Sean McCarthy: “Pioneerof the Nile, and I’ll box my trifecta with him, Chocolate Candy and Mr. Hot Stuff. Mr. Hot Stuff is the closer, and he’s my sentimental pick.”

Dennis O’Neill, brother and associate of trainer Doug O’Neill: “Pioneerof the Nile. There’s a lot of speed in there, and I think he’s going to get a perfect trip. Bob’s (Baffert) always got him cranked up for the race before the (Kentucky) Derby, so I’m going with Bob’s horse.”

Hector Palma: “The Pamplemousse. He’s training well and he looks stronger every day. He’s done everything right, so far. He’s the horse to beat.”

Jorge Periban: “Pioneerof the Nile. I like the way he’s been training. He looks 100 percent to me when I see him in the mornings.”

Jay Robbins: “Mr. Hot Stuff (laughing at the obvious response).” Robbins trained the colt’s sire, 2000 Horse of the Year Tiznow.

Cliff Sise Jr.: “Julio’s horse (The Pamplemousse) looked good. It will be a good day of racing. I think if they (Z Day and The Pamplemousse) had flip-flopped post positions it would be a disadvantage for The Pamplemousse, but with him on the outside, I think he can rate. He can sit second, and he might have to. But I’m rooting for Chocolate Candy.”

Mel Stute: “Chocolate Candy could be the horse, if you’re looking for a price.”

Eddie Truman: “I watched all three work Tuesday. They all looked good. You’ve got to like The Pamplemousse, but Chocolate Candy could be the surprise. He sure looks like he’s coming up to it perfect. They’ll definitely know what they have after this.”

Danny Velazquez: “Mr. Hot Stuff. I like Eoin, but who knows? You never know how it’s going to turn out. There might be a little pressure on The Pamplemousse, but if he gets an easy lead, he’s going to be tough to catch.”

Tim Yakteen: “I think Bob’s horse (Pioneerof the Nile) is an ideal candidate for the race. He’s shown that he relaxes, you can place him wherever you need to. I think he’s coming into the race great. He had a nice prep race (winning the San Felipe Stakes). He would be my choice.”

The field for the 72nd Santa Anita Derby at 1 1/8 miles on Pro-Ride, which goes as race six with a scheduled 2:45 p.m. post time: Chocolate Candy, Joel Rosario, 6-1; Z Day, Aaron Gryder, 15-1; Unbridled Roman, Tyler Baze, 30-1; Pioneerof the Nile, Garrett Gomez, 2-1; Mr. Hot Stuff, Corey Nakatani, 8-1; Feisty Suances, Victor Espinoza, 15-1; Take the Points, Christopher DeCarlo, 10-1; Cape Truth, Michael Baze, 30-1; Gallant Son, Rafael Bejarano, 15-1; and The Pamplemousse, Alex Solis, 9-5.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    from the Santa Anita website:

HORSEMEN FANCY ‘BIG THREE’ IN SANTA ANITA DERBY

The Pamplemousse, Pioneerof the Nile and Chocolate Candy—the three morning line choices—dominated selections made by local horsemen in an informal backstretch poll on Saturday’s Grade I, $750,000 Santa Anita Derby, which drew a field of 10 going a mile and an eighth.

Retired Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, now an analyst for HRTV and NBC-TV, who won the Santa Anita Derby a record nine times: “It’s a good race. Some people think The Pamplemousse has a bad post (No. 10). I think he’s got a great draw on the outside. With the speed horse, Z Day, on the inside (No. 2), The Pamplemousse can sit off him. If Z Day goes crazy, The Pamplemousse can kind of control the race. I think he’s ratable.

“Chocolate Candy drew great in the one hole. He can save ground, and he’s going to have to find the gaps, but he’s got good acceleration.

“Pioneerof the Nile, it doesn’t look like he’s got any holes in him. He can sit wherever he needs to. He’s drawn good in the four hole and Garrett (Gomez) can pretty much do what he wants.

“Eoin Harty’s on fire right now (winning the $6 million Dubai World Cup last Saturday). It wouldn’t take much for Mr. Hot Stuff to turn the tables, so it’s a wide open race. Tactically, Garret and Alex (Solis, rider of The Pamplemousse) may think they’re in a match race and it may set things up for Chocolate Candy.”

So, who would Stevens ride, going for Santa Anita Derby No. 10? “I’d flip a coin between Chocolate Candy and Pioneerof the Nile.”

Barry Abrams: “I love The Pamplemousse.”

A.C. Avila: “Chocolate Candy. The horse is improving. He’s got confidence, and I don’t like Pamplemousse’s workout (six furlongs March 25 in 1:13).”

Rafael Beccera: “Chocolate Candy. I think he’ll come from off the pace.”

David Bernstein: “I like The Pamplemousse on a speed-favoring track like this at a mile and an eighth. I like Pioneerof the Nile and Chocolate Candy for the trifecta.”

Patrick Biancone: “Pioneerof the Nile, because I think he’s the one who’s worked the best. He’s a good horse, and all he does is win.”

Jack Carava: “Chocolate Candy looked good the other day. I definitely like the way he worked.”

Jim Cassidy: “It’s a tough race, but I kind of like Chocolate Candy.”

Ron Ellis: “I wasn’t impressed with Pioneerof the Nile the other day. The Pamplemousse just keeps surprising me. I didn’t think he’d ever be able to go a mile and an eighth (winning the Sham Stakes by six lengths), being by Kafwain. I haven’t really looked at the race, but it should be interesting.”

Carla Gaines: “I like The Pamplemousse. I just like the horse.”

Greg Gilchrist: “It looks pretty wide open. I’ve heard stories that The Pamplemousse is not doing well; I don’t know. That’s just a story I heard. I think you’d have to like Pioneerof the Nile.”

Peter Eurton: “I love Pamplemousse. He’s my favorite. He’s everybody’s favorite, isn’t he? I think the post position is great for him. If anybody wants to go with him, they’re going to have to do it on the inside. You couldn’t have asked for any better post going a mile and an eighth.”

Dan Hendricks: “There should be hot fractions with The Pamplemousse out on the lead. It sets up good for Pioneerof the Nile. It could go one-two like that.”

David Hofmans: “Chocolate Candy. I like the way he’s been running, training, and I think there’s going to be a little heat in there to set it up for him.”

Mike Machowsky: “Pioneerof the Nile is the horse to beat. I haven’t been impressed with the way The Pamplemousse has been training, and Chocolate Candy is kind of unproven running against these type of horses.”

Mark Molina: “I’m rooting for Eoin (Harty, Mr. Hot Stuff). I’ve watched him gallop out after his race. I think he’s a bit immature, but if he gets the right pace, he’ll make a big run.”

Frank Monteleone: “I want The Pamplemousse to win, but I think because of the ‘rabbit,’ (Z Day), that Pioneerof the Nile’s got a better chance.”

Steve Knapp: “Pioneerof the Nile. He hasn’t done anything wrong. Each race, he seems to get a little better. I think he’s going to win the race.”

Eric Kruljac: “It looks like an exciting race with those three. It’s hard to draw any conclusive opinion. They all have an equal chance. You’ve got to like Chocolate Candy for a lot of reasons.”

Gary Mandella: “Chocolate Candy. He’s done well here and he might get the jump on Bob’s horse (Pioneerof the Nile) and that might be the difference.”

Richard Mandella: “I don’t know which of the three would be better. They all have a pretty good shot, I’d say. It makes for an interesting race.”

Ron McAnally: “Chocolate Candy. His sire (Candy Ride) is a horse we trained for the Craigs, and they’ve always been first-class owners. But I would be OK if The Pamplemousse or Pioneerof the Nile won, too.

Sean McCarthy: “Pioneerof the Nile, and I’ll box my trifecta with him, Chocolate Candy and Mr. Hot Stuff. Mr. Hot Stuff is the closer, and he’s my sentimental pick.”

Dennis O’Neill, brother and associate of trainer Doug O’Neill: “Pioneerof the Nile. There’s a lot of speed in there, and I think he’s going to get a perfect trip. Bob’s (Baffert) always got him cranked up for the race before the (Kentucky) Derby, so I’m going with Bob’s horse.”

Hector Palma: “The Pamplemousse. He’s training well and he looks stronger every day. He’s done everything right, so far. He’s the horse to beat.”

Jorge Periban: “Pioneerof the Nile. I like the way he’s been training. He looks 100 percent to me when I see him in the mornings.”

Jay Robbins: “Mr. Hot Stuff (laughing at the obvious response).” Robbins trained the colt’s sire, 2000 Horse of the Year Tiznow.

Cliff Sise Jr.: “Julio’s horse (The Pamplemousse) looked good. It will be a good day of racing. I think if they (Z Day and The Pamplemousse) had flip-flopped post positions it would be a disadvantage for The Pamplemousse, but with him on the outside, I think he can rate. He can sit second, and he might have to. But I’m rooting for Chocolate Candy.”

Mel Stute: “Chocolate Candy could be the horse, if you’re looking for a price.”

Eddie Truman: “I watched all three work Tuesday. They all looked good. You’ve got to like The Pamplemousse, but Chocolate Candy could be the surprise. He sure looks like he’s coming up to it perfect. They’ll definitely know what they have after this.”

Danny Velazquez: “Mr. Hot Stuff. I like Eoin, but who knows? You never know how it’s going to turn out. There might be a little pressure on The Pamplemousse, but if he gets an easy lead, he’s going to be tough to catch.”

Tim Yakteen: “I think Bob’s horse (Pioneerof the Nile) is an ideal candidate for the race. He’s shown that he relaxes, you can place him wherever you need to. I think he’s coming into the race great. He had a nice prep race (winning the San Felipe Stakes). He would be my choice.”

The field for the 72nd Santa Anita Derby at 1 1/8 miles on Pro-Ride, which goes as race six with a scheduled 2:45 p.m. post time: Chocolate Candy, Joel Rosario, 6-1; Z Day, Aaron Gryder, 15-1; Unbridled Roman, Tyler Baze, 30-1; Pioneerof the Nile, Garrett Gomez, 2-1; Mr. Hot Stuff, Corey Nakatani, 8-1; Feisty Suances, Victor Espinoza, 15-1; Take the Points, Christopher DeCarlo, 10-1; Cape Truth, Michael Baze, 30-1; Gallant Son, Rafael Bejarano, 15-1; and The Pamplemousse, Alex Solis, 9-5.

Somebody was right.