Square eddie to derby...WHAT?

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Square Eddie to prep for Derby in Lexington
By Steve Andersen
ARCADIA, Calif. - Square Eddie, who has not raced since January because of a cannon bone injury, will start in the $300,000 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland next Saturday as a prep for the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 2.

Owner Paul Reddam and trainer Doug O'Neill had considered starting Square Eddie in the Kentucky Derby off a series of workouts in March and April but have opted to start the colt in the Grade 2 Lexington Stakes after a strong six-furlong breeze April 5 at Hollywood Park.

"He galloped out with so much energy and came out of the work so well," O'Neill said. "I think it makes sense now. He's ready for that.

"We had talked of doing a simulated race in the morning and we all know a race is more useful. Realistically to win a mile-and-a-quarter race off a layoff, we'll need a good prep."

Square Eddie has not started since finishing second to The Pamplemousse in the Grade 3 San Rafael Stakes at Santa Anita on Jan. 17, Square Eddie's only start this year. He was scheduled to run in the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park in February, but was sidelined by a cannon bone injury early that month.

Square Eddie has been working steadily, including a six-furlong breeze in 1:13 last April 5.

A winner of 2 of 7 starts and $787,366, Square Eddie had an outstanding campaign last fall after arriving from England. Square Eddie won the Grade 1 Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland and finished second in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita as the 7-2 favorite.

O'Neill said Edgar Prado will ride Square Eddie in the Lexington.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    Square Eddie to prep for Derby in Lexington
    By Steve Andersen
    ARCADIA, Calif. - Square Eddie, who has not raced since January because of a cannon bone injury, will start in the $300,000 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland next Saturday as a prep for the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 2.

Owner Paul Reddam and trainer Doug O'Neill had considered starting Square Eddie in the Kentucky Derby off a series of workouts in March and April but have opted to start the colt in the Grade 2 Lexington Stakes after a strong six-furlong breeze April 5 at Hollywood Park.

"He galloped out with so much energy and came out of the work so well," O'Neill said. "I think it makes sense now. He's ready for that.

"We had talked of doing a simulated race in the morning and we all know a race is more useful. Realistically to win a mile-and-a-quarter race off a layoff, we'll need a good prep."

Square Eddie has not started since finishing second to The Pamplemousse in the Grade 3 San Rafael Stakes at Santa Anita on Jan. 17, Square Eddie's only start this year. He was scheduled to run in the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park in February, but was sidelined by a cannon bone injury early that month.

Square Eddie has been working steadily, including a six-furlong breeze in 1:13 last April 5.

A winner of 2 of 7 starts and $787,366, Square Eddie had an outstanding campaign last fall after arriving from England. Square Eddie won the Grade 1 Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland and finished second in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita as the 7-2 favorite.

O'Neill said Edgar Prado will ride Square Eddie in the Lexington.

Perfect there my fourth dual quiflier for my five horse box with the oil mans nag , now i can rest
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    dunco, if he makes it there he will be a good price..I hope he makes it because i like him.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    Square Eddie on Dirt after a 4 month layoff ? I will toss that horse so far it isn't funny .... I wouldn't bet on him with monopoly money.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Draynay, I do not look at dirt or synthetic no more because if a horse likes it he likes it and if he dont he dont. Quality road may love the gulf but hat the church...hes fresh and he may turn a couple heads. You can alos say that he is in better health then a horse who ran twice in what a month and a half and now with a quarter crack!!!You dont have to bet him but if the odds are right i will.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    day-ray what is it like to be on the other side of the fence .........grab your balls and take a horse and stop your bullshit........ if quit road is your nag take him an shut up ....or take one or ask me i give you one ...but please shut up..
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    Yes Dunco everyone knows Quality Road is my choice ... but shut up ? Give it a rest and grow up. The only winner you can pick is from your nose.
  • edited April 2009
    Draynay And Dunco................lets All Chill Out On Here And Relax Namecalling Gets Us Irishman {myself} Pissed Off.................this Is A Good Site We Have Some Decent Handicappers And Posters Lets Not Turn It Into A Shouting And Pissing Contest Ok.......................
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    Draynay And Dunco................lets All Chill Out On Here And Relax Namecalling Gets Us Irishman {myself} Pissed Off.................this Is A Good Site We Have Some Decent Handicappers And Posters Lets Not Turn It Into A Shouting And Pissing Contest Ok.......................

ok dad
  • edited April 2009
    DUNCO................TOP of the morning to you my friend.......your horse ran a big race yesterday from the dreaded 12 post in that last race at keeneland....i was yelling at my t.v. trying to get him home for you..lol.....

SERIOUSLY i like larry the whiners horse today ....i think the field is running for second ............
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited April 2009
    Id rather hear Larry Whine bigtime but I think your right Gambler.