Dunkirk - probable for the Kentucky Derby after all?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Looks as if things have broken just right for Dunkirk getting into the Derby. Going into this weekend, i had heard he was 17th on the list of Derby "contenders" as far as graded earnings go. I suppose that's a list of horses whose connections have demonstrated a willingness to run in the Derby if given the chance (and i expect that would include Square Eddie).

The top two finishers in the Arkansas Derby today, Papa Clem and Old Fashioned, were both already ranked ahead of Dunkirk on the graded earnings list, so no change there.

Of the top two finishers in the Blue Grass, General Quarters and Hold Me Back, only one of them (General Quarters) leap-frogged Dunkirk today. Hold me Back was already well ahead of Dunkirk, so no chance there either.

This comes on the heels of last week's chalky results in the Santa Anita Derby and Wood Memorial, which played out roughly the same as described above. So, there's stil the Lexington left to be run next weekend, but right now it appears that Dunkirk is ranked 18th and is on the verge of getting into the Derby.

Last, but perhaps not least, is the fact that the already-qualified potential Derby entrant Mafaaz finished a disappointing 8th in the Blue Grass today, and his trainer John Gosden said he has not made a decision on whether the horse will go on to Churchill. If he doesn't, that would effectively move Dunkirk up one notch on the earnings list.

Comments

• cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Hooray, DC you are right Dunkirk will be in. Old Fashion Maybe retired after the injury sustained yesterday, moving him up the ranks, and Mafaaz I really don't think he going. Unless the trainer just planned to give him a race in country with top horses as a prep race. He had nothing to prove yesterday since he's automatically in, reguardless of his performance. Dunkirk on top. May the Horse be with you.