Leparoux Named on General Quarters

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Leparoux Named on General Quarters. Four-time Churchill Downs riding champion Julien Leparoux has been named to ride Grade I Blue Grass winner General Quarters in the Kentucky Derby.

Owner-trainer Tom McCarthy made the announcement today. McCarthy said he named Leparoux to the mount after he became frustrated by a lack of a commitment or communication from Eibar Coa, who rode the colt in the Toyota Blue Grass. However, media reports already had Coa on board Grade II Illinois Derby winner Musket Man.

The two horses have run against each other twice, with General Quarters winning the Grade III Sam F. Davis Stakes and Musket Man taking the Grade III Tampa Bay Derby.

“Julien is a nice, sit-still rider and he’s fairly aggressive,” said McCarthy. “I think he’d fit this horse very nicely.”

McCarthy has a long relationship with Steve Bass, Leparoux’s agent and a former student of McCarthy’s at Louisville’s Seneca High School. Leparoux’s success at Churchill Downs was also a selling point for McCarthy. “That’s a big thing,” McCarthy said. “He’s been riding here and he knows the track. After I get through talking with him, we’ll have a plan we’ll use in the Derby.”

McCarthy said General Quarters would probably have just one work between the Blue Grass and the Kentucky Derby. His plan is not yet firm, but McCarthy said that he anticipates a work about eight days out from Derby 135.