Derby update from Santa Anita

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Santa Anita website:

PIONEEROF THE NILE IN ‘BEST WORK’ FOR DERBY; JOCKEY STILL OPEN

Santa Anita Derby winner Pioneerof the Nile had his final workout at Santa Anita Wednesday on a blustery but sun-drenched morning before departing for Churchill Downs Thursday where the son of Empire Maker will prepare for the 135th Kentucky Derby on May 2.

Under former jockey Joey Steiner, Pioneerof the Nile, winner of the Grade II Robert B. Lewis Stakes and the Grade II San Felipe Stakes this meet in addition to the Grade I Santa Anita Derby, went four furlongs on Pro-Ride in a bullet :46.20, fastest of 39 drills at the distance.

“He went in :46.62,” trainer Bob Baffert said. “(Clocker) Gary Young got him in :46 4/5, and he went out in :58 4/5. He did it pretty damn easy. I didn’t think he went that fast. He went really, really nice. It’s probably the best he’s ever worked. The track was in really great shape today. It had a lot of bounce to it and they were getting over it good.”

Baffert still had no commitment from Garrett Gomez on Pioneerof the Nile for the Derby. The nation’s Eclipse Award winner as outstanding jockey the last two years also is the rider of Florida Derby runner-up Dunkirk for Todd Pletcher.

“Well, it’s either Garrett Gomez or somebody from Los Alamitos,” Baffert joked when asked about the rider for Pioneerof the Nile in the Derby. “I don’t know yet. I’m still waiting.”

In other news:

Arkansas Derby winner Papa Clem jogged Wednesday at Churchill Downs, where he is readying for the Kentucky Derby. “He got there yesterday,” said trainer Gary Stute, who is preparing his first starter for the Derby.

Mr. Hot Stuff, third in the Santa Anita Derby, worked four furlongs on Pro-Ride Tuesday in :48 seconds. Eoin Harty still holds hope that the son of Tiznow can qualify for the Derby. “I’m training him like he’s going to the Derby right now,” Harty said. Corey Nakatani would ride.

Massone, third in Saturday’s Toyota Blue Grass Stakes, was en route to California today from Kentucky. “You’ll probably see him at Hollywood (Park),” trainer Ron McAnally said.