Huge workout for Rachel Alexandra this morning

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Churchill Downs:

Trainer Hal Wiggins was looking for an easy work on Thursday for L & M Racing’s Rachel Alexandra, the likely favorite for the $500,000 Kentucky Oaks (Grade I) at Churchill Downs on May. But ‘easy’ is a relative term when it comes to describing the training activity of the star of Wiggins’ stable.

Rachel Alexandra zipped five furlongs in :59.40 over a “fast” track with jockey Calvin Borel in the irons. The move, which came just after the break for track maintenance, tied as the fastest of 21 at the distance.

Churchill Downs clockers caught Rachel Alexandra in fractions of :12.60, :24.40, :36 and :47.60. She galloped out six furlongs in 1:11.60 and seven-eighths in 1:24.20.
Despite the rapid time, Borel said the winner of the Fantasy (GII) and Fair Grounds Oaks (GI) completed her task with ease and without urging.

“I’ve never asked her – it’s scary,” said Borel. “I’ve been on her all the time and I’ve never asked her. She’s just unbelievable, and she just gets better and better and better and better. I don’t know how good she can be.”

“As usual, she went a little bit faster than I really wanted, but she does it so easy,” Wiggins said. “The main thing we want to do now is just keep her fresh and keep her ready.”

Wiggins said Rachel Alexandra would have “a little easy breeze” on Monday, April 27 and that would complete her serious preparation for the 1 1/8-mile Kentucky Oaks, America’s premier race for 3-year-old fillies. He said that work would likely be a four-furlong move.

Rachel Alexandra is on a four-race winning streak, all in stakes races, and her recent romp in the Fantasy at Oaklawn Park improved her record to six wins in nine races with earnings of $621,440.

Borel, who won the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) with Street Sense in 2007, has been aboard Rachel Alexandra for that string of wins that started last fall in the Golden Rod (GII) at Churchill Downs. He said she was good then, but is a much better filly now.

“I’d say she’s about 40 percent better, just because of the way she’s blossomed,” Borel said. “Now she’s got so much power, it’s just unbelievable. I don’t know how good she is, to tell you the truth. She’s an awesome filly.”

Other Kentucky Oaks candidates on the grounds at Churchill Downs include Arnold Zetcher, LLC’s Gabby’s Golden Gal, who scored a 13-length victory for Baffert in the Sunland Park Oaks, and J. Paul Reddam’s Nan, fourth to champion Stardom Bound in the Santa Anita Oaks (GI) for trainer Craig Dollase.

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    I know with fillies anything can and usually does happen but I am betting big she is the winner and the start of my Rachel... Quality Road double. Calvin will be off and gone with her daring anyone to try an catch her.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2009
    She already owns a big win over the Churchill surface. Hard to fault her.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    Discreet I just see no real speed this year in the Oaks or the Derby so Rachel and QR should really have their own way... its going to take a freak accident to stop them from winning.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    how about a wet track not a lot just a little ,,,,,,,,,,,,that will move sky diva up to the front of the class...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    DUNCO wrote: »
    how about a wet track not a lot just a little ,,,,,,,,,,,,that will move sky diva up to the front of the class...

Wet track won't stop her, I was at FG and it was soup bowl for the FG Oaks, don't care if the track was sealed or not. I mean soup bowl.
    edited April 2009
    I'll have to look over the graded earnings list again, but to may be right about the lack of pace in the Derby. Aside from QR, Friesan Fire and Papa Clem look to be the quickest in the race, and I'm not sure either of them would me thrilled with the lead. Perhaps Papa Clem will go (that was the plan in the Ark Derby according to Bejarano), but who knows. I don't think QR wants the lead either, but he'll undoubtedly be close.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    No Speed Tight First Turn Hate To Be In The Middle ......trainers Have To Think Twice When They Pick Their Spots.... Is There A Safe Post ? Garcia On The Lead Again? Worked At 1-1/2 Mile...........and Up From The Ground Came A Bubble-in Pool "oil That Is", Texas Tea.... And The Next Think You Knowww..............old Alan Is A Mill$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Wet track won't stop her, I was at FG and it was soup bowl for the FG Oaks, don't care if the track was sealed or not. I mean soup bowl.

AT THE CHURCH IT DOSN'T TURN TO SOUP IT STAYS MUD ... BUT THAT REALLY REACH-IN THE TOP TWO MIGHT OVER EXTEND THEMSELF.. CALVIN CAN'T LET HER RUN LIKE SEE DID TODAY HE WILL KILL HER AND STAR-DOME BOUND...
    THEIR ONLY LITTLE GIRLS NOT MO-SHEENES
    edited April 2009
    Regal Ransom will be among the leaders as well. Forgot about him.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009

like da-tara
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009

Regal gets anywhere near the lead and they will have to drag him across the line. He has never seen a mile anywhere NEAR 1:35