Lexington Stakes play

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Keeneland - Race 9

#2 Omniscient (6/1 ml)

Asmussen shipper has run extremely well in all three career starts, beating next-out 10 length winner Montecore in his debut before winning 2 straight around two turns, most recently on the Louisiana Derby undercard. That race was quite strong, as they went to the half-mile pole almost TWO full seconds faster than Papa Clem got the half-mile in the La Derby, and it was also over a full second faster to the 6-furlong mark. Omniscient was sitting right off those fractions while completely in hand, and he's shown in both route starts that he's capable of finishing quite well. Also worth noting that Friesan Fire got a 104 Beyer for winning the La Derby, while Omniscient got a91 for the allowance race. That's bullshit, considering that it took Friesan Fire an extra 6 seconds to get the final sixteenth, and Omniscient was already 40 yards into that distance. So either Friesan Fire's Beyer is too high, or Omniscient's is too low. And considering that La Derby second-place finisher Papa Clem came back to win the Arkansas Derby last weekend, it's probably the latter. As for Omniscient's current condition, he's been training very sharply over the Keeneland polytrack, and of course Asmussen has always done very well here. Expecting a good showing from this talented colt. Meanwhile, the 9/5 ml favorite Square Eddie is returns here from an injury in a desperate attempt to make the Derby. He's already set on graded earnings, so he's obviously just tuning up here. I'm sure they'd like to win with him, but no way will they empty the tank here (or have him 100% cranked) when the real goal is just two weeks away. Throw in the fact that Square Eddie is the only "Derby horse" in the race (complete with front-page article on the Racing Form), and he'll undoubtedly be a huge underlay here. Great spot to play against him with an underrated, up-and-coming colt like Omniscient.

HRT record:

55 for 191 (29%)

$467.80 mutuels ($8.51 avg)

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    I agree I am on the 2......
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I think " His Greatness" is being way overlooked I'm going across the board but not overboard.
  • edited April 2009
    It Starts Now Hail Gomez Hail Pletcher This 1-2 Punch Is Going To Rock Belmont And Saratoga This Spring And Summer.... All Of Us Should Have Are Butts Kicked Letting That Combo Get Off At 15/1.....hope He Storms Home On Dunkirk Like He Just Did.......
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't real happy with the ride by Albarado. Not sure it cost him mthe race, but he got himself buried in traffic and never had a chance.

Square Eddie made a big, wide move and looked to be roaring off to an impressive win, but then he just stopped cold. Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey on ESPN were commenting that he needed the race for fitness purposes, and that's true, but if he's cratering at the 1 1/16-mile Lexington distance then it's awfully hard to see him getting 1 1/4 miles just two weeks later. Looks like a complete throwout in the Derby, as expected.
  • edited April 2009
    Cat Me Personally I Couldnt Take A Chance On This Horse Due To That Recent Injury Im Skeptical...the Connections May Pull Him Out Who Knows....
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    Prado Gave That Horse No Chance To Win And I'm Sure He Heard It The Dumb Ass.. Bid Deal He Dwelt .why Rush Up ....why Five Wide... Why Push The Button 1/4 Mi Early...maybe Just To Get 35-1 In The Derby????? I See The Big Cappers On The Site Thrown Him Out Already ... Only Because They Can't Sell That Horse To Their Pigeons They Need To Hear About A Q-road Nag So After It Over They Can Say Gee I Don't No What Happen...
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    Discreet you are 100% on target.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    not a toss out, use on the bottom..we will just see how good he is like any other horse in the field of 20.
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited April 2009
    My guess would have to be saving energy. I dont think he should go to the derby but i guess its not my money making that call.