Hollywood Park trainers pick the Kentucky Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
rom Hollwyood Park:

A random sampling of trainers based at Hollywood Park Wednesday favored I Want Revenge in the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby Saturday, although CashCall Futurity winner Pioneerof the Nile and Papa Clem also received support in a 20-horse line-up with potent California connections.

The selections:

Jesse Mendoza — “I’ve got to go for (trainer Jeff) Mullins’s horse (I Want Revenge). He was so impressive in his last race, getting left at the gate and overcoming trouble to win.”

Paul Aguirre — “There are so many X-factors, but I like Pioneerof the Nile. Any time a horse can change his style as often as he has and still win, he has to be an outstanding horse.”

John Sadler — “Emotionally, I’m rooting for Papa Clem. It’s bigger than (trainer) Gary Stute. It’s Clement Hirsch (the late icon after whom the horse was named by his son and owner, Bo), Warren Stute, Mel Stute and California racing. I think all the California horses — Papa Clem, Pioneerof the Nile, Chocolate Candy and Mr. Hot Stuff — will run well. It’s a strong group. Chocolate Candy, owned by Jenny Craig: what a story that would make.”

Mark Glatt — “You’ve got to like Mullins’s horse (I Want Revenge).”

Barry Abrams — “Dunkirk. He’s a fresh, up-and-coming horse, and has got the right style for this race.”

Steve Knapp — “I like Baffert’s horse (Pioneerof the Nile). He’s done nothing wrong, and Baffert has won the race three times before.”

Mike Harrington — “I Want Revenge.”

Julio Canani — “It’s going to be a longshot. Bet the field.”

David Hofmans — “I Want Revenge.”

Eric Guillot — “Baffert’s horse is a proven commodity, but I’d like to see Mullins’s horse win.”