Justwhistledixie Out

hue21998hue21998 Banned
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Justwhistledixie Out of Oaks
By Jason Shandler
Updated: Friday, May 1, 2009 4:20 PM
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 3:22 PM
Email Print RSS ShareThisWest Point Thoroughbreds' Justwhistledixie, the morning-line second choice in the May 1 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), was scratched from the race due to a foot abscess.

According to trainer Kiaran McLaughlin, the abscess was noticed at about 1:45 p.m. EDT.

"She was 100% sound and has had no issues," McLaughlin said. "But when my brother Neal took her in to get Lasix they noticed that her left front foot was tender. So they pulled the shoe off and noticed the abscess.

"It's just terrible timing. I feel really bad for everyone at West Point. They all came up here to watch her race and she had a legitimate shot to win. She will be fine with time off, so it isn't a big issue as far as that's concerned. But it's just really bad timing."

Justwhistledixie had won her last five starts including the Bonnie Miss (gr. II) March 27 at Gulfstream Park. The 3-year-old daughter of Dixie Union has a lifetime record of 5-0-2 from seven starts with earnings of $337,927.

With the scratch, the Oaks field was reduced to seven. Rachel Alexandra is expected to be the overwhelming favorite.

Comments

• hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    Will a doubles ticket with her go as a refund or be put on the favorite?