Post-race jockey quotes from the Kentucky Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from NY Post:

Garrett Gomez (2nd, Pioneerof the Nile): "He ran really good. I was in a tracking position all the way. I thought I was sitting on the winner turning for home and it was a nice feeling. That horse on the rail was a flash. [Pioneerof the Nile] stayed on well, and two weeks from now we have the Preakness."

Eibar Coa (3rd, Musket Man): "I was forced to go wide coming into the stretch. My horse was still running at the end, but I got bumped near the finish and I know that cost me second."

Rafael Bejarano (4th, Papa Clem): I can't believe it. I was in perfect position and sitting comfortable. He was moving so smooth I thought I was going to win. He was still running to the wire, but the winner was fantastic when he passed me in the stretch."

Mike Smith (5th, Chocolate Candy): "Turning for home, I thought I was going to win. Then he just hung."

Chris Rosier (6th, Summer Bird): "It went good. My horse ran well. The crowd got to him a little bit."

Chris deCarlo (7th, Join In the Dance): "He ran as far as he could. In a race like this, no one is going to give you an easy lead. Someone is always going to force the issue, and that's exactly what happened."

Julien Leparoux (10th, General Quarters): "He broke good but didn't show any speed. I don't know why."

Edgar Prado (11th, Dunkirk): "I sat behind the speed and when I asked him to go, I didn't have much horse left. He stumbled twice. It might have cost a little position, but not much really. After the three-eighths pole, I just ran out of horse."

Gabriel Saez (18th, Friesan Fire): "He got a bad start and got hit [in his left front]. I feel that he didn't want to go, so I let him relax and finish the race. I didn't want to hurt the horse. I just dropped the reins and let him gallop.He came back OK."

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    Turning For Home I Thought I Was Going To Win .....thanks Mike I Feel Better...