Mine That Bird fourth choice in Preakness poll

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

The unexpected victory by Mine That Bird in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) failed to convince voters that he is a legitimate Triple Crown contender as Pioneerof of the Nile, second in the Derby, was the voter’s top selection heading into the Preakness Stakes (G1).

THOROUGHBRED TIMES publishes a weekly poll of the top 10 Triple Crown contenders based on a vote from its editors, reporters, and correspondents with a first-place vote worth 10 points, second worth 9 points, etc.

Pioneerof the Nile finished comfortably ahead of poll runner-up Papa Clem, fourth in the Derby, with Derby third-place finisher Musket Man coming in third in the voting. Mine That Bird was the fourth choice.

Trainer Bob Baffert said Pioneerof the Nile, a multiple Grade 1 winner, appeared poised to win the Kentucky Derby before Mine That Bird charged through on the rail and shook clear to a 6 3/4-length victory.

“I saw [jockey Garrett Gomez aboard Pioneerof the Nile] at the three-eighths pole and he was loaded and at the quarter pole he was still loaded,” Baffert said after the Derby. “I didn’t see anything coming and I thought ‘Mine!’ Then that horse [Mine That Bird] went by me and I was like ‘What happened?’

“If he had won, I thought he had a shot at the Triple Crown. He can get the distance and he runs his race every time.”

The connections of Mine That Bird initially were unsure whether the Birdstone gelding would go on to the Preakness, but he convinced them all was well on Monday when he went out to the track for some exercise and tried to buck the rider off.

Trainer Bennie “Chip” Woolley Jr., who has never been to Baltimore, announced the decision with a comment that appeals to the sporting blood in all fans of the sport.

“The Triple Crown is good for racing, and without the Derby winner [in the Preakness] there is no chance to have one,” Woolley said.

The Preakness poll includes five horses who did not compete in the Kentucky Derby but whose connections have indicated they might aim for the Preakness.