Rachel Alexandra works for the Preakness

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Kentucky Oaks (G1) winner Rachel Alexandra breezed an easy half-mile on Sunday at Churchill Downs in preparation for a possible start in the Preakness Stakes (G1) on May 16 at Pimlico Race Course.

The Medaglia d’Oro filly was purchased privately by Jess Jackson’s Stonestreet Stables and Harold T. McCormick on Wednesday and transferred from previous trainer Hal Wiggins to 2008 Eclipse Award winner Steve Asmussen.

Rachel Alexandra worked four furlongs under exercise rider Dominic Terry in :48.40 on a track rated as fast. She galloped out five furlongs in 1:02.

"I thought it went beautiful," Asmussen said of the move, which ranked 13th of 81 timed moves at the distance. "I'm surprised the racetrack dried out so well considering they canceled [races] two days ago.

"She's a beautiful filly. I think she's doing extremely well. Every sight of her has been impressive and I'm just very happy to get this light move in this morning under very good conditions."

Asmussen said he had no update on Rachel Alexandra’s status for the Preakness.

"That's Mr. Jackson's discretion--whatever timetable he wants to be on," said Asmussen. "We're just very fortunate to have her in our care, and we'll just communicate what we think we're seeing."

Asmussen won the 2007 Preakness with eventual Horse of the Year and champion three-year-old male Curlin but declined to speculate where Rachel Alexandra fits against males in the Preakness. She won the Kentucky Oaks by a stakes-record 20 1/4 lengths under a hand ride by jockey Calvin Borel (video).

"I think it's like all races—you only worry about what you can take care of," Asmussen said. "The filly has proven what a tremendous mare she is. Mr. Wiggins has done a remarkable job with an amazing filly and we're just very fortunate to be around her."

The Louisville track was busy Sunday morning as Preakness contenders Hull and Terrain also worked in preparation for the middle jewel of the Triple Crown.

Unbeaten Derby Trial Stakes (G3) winner Hull breezed a bullet five furlongs in :59.40 under jockey Miguel Mena. The workout was the fastest of 35 at the distance at Churchill.

"He worked really good - I had him in :59 flat," said Romans, who is considering the Preakness and the Woody Stephens Stakes (G2) at Belmont on June 6. "It looked like he was doing it easy."

Romans said the possibility that Rachel Alexandra might run in the Preakness could change the complexion of the 1 3/16-mile race.

"It makes it a tougher decision to go," Romans said. "We're going to sit down and talk about it on Tuesday and see if we want to go up there and run against her. Right now, I think we're still gonna go, but we'll see what happens. She changes the dynamics of the whole race.

“She's true speed that keeps on going. She's real quality. I don't know [how] it's going to be for a filly to come back in two weeks—I think it's harder for the fillies than it is for the colts—but I'm sure if Steve [Asmussen] takes her over there, then she's ready to go."

Grade 3 winner Terrain breezed five furlongs under jockey Jamie Theriot in 1:02.60. The Sky Mesa gelding started a few lengths behind stablemate Map of the World, drew even with him at the eighth pole, and finished on even terms.

"I had worked a few horses earlier in the morning and the track was fast. I didn't want any lights-out work," trainer Al Stall Jr. said. "He is ready to run. He got dialed in today. I told Jamie just to sit behind him and when he chirped to him, he was right on him and they finished heads up. Jamie was happy with him."

Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) winner General Quarters is slated to breeze on Monday for owner-trainer Tom McCarthy.

Derby winner Mine That Bird galloped two miles under exercise rider Charlie Figueroa at Churchill.

"He's doing super, as good as ever," Figueroa said. "I know he hasn't backed off. There is no regression at all."

Mine That Bird’s trainer Bennie “Chip” Woolley Jr. said he preferred to focus on the Kentucky Derby winner’s training rather than the news that several owners, including Mine That Bird’s co-owner Mark Allen, could enter additional horses in the Preakness in an attempt to keep Rachel Alexandra out of the race.

“If that’s what they feel they need to do, that’s up to them,” Woolley said. “That’s not for me to agree or disagree with. I’ve said all along that you have to beat them all, not just one horse.

“My job is to train the horse and have him ready. He’s doing super; this horse is doing really good. …I’m happy with where we are at the moment.”