Rachel Alexandra draws the far outside post, installed as the 8/5 ml favorite

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Baltimore Sun:

Rachel Alexandra, the only filly among the field of 13, was made the clear favorite Wednesday for the 134th running of the Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

The prized filly was made a 8-5 favorite despite never having run against male competition and being in a competitive field that includes the top four Kentucky Derby finishers -- winner Mine That Bird, Pioneerof the Nile, Musket Man and Papa Clem. Rachel Alexandra will start in the 13th post position.

Pioneerof the Nile was a 5-1 second choice and Mine That Bird and Friesan Fire were 6-1 third choices.

Rachel Alexandra is the first filly since 1988 to be made the pre-race favorite. Winning Colors finished third that year.

Because of the entry of Rachel Alexandra, whose owners have a long-standing commitment from jockey Calvin Borel, Mine That Bird will be without his regular rider. Instead, veteran Hall of Fame rider Mike Smith, who won the Preakness in 1993 on Prairie Bayou, will be aboard the Kentucky Derby winner.

Officials also said the $100,000 fee paid by Rachel Alexandra's owner Jess Jackson will be added to the Preakness purse, which will now total $1.1 million.

The last filly to race in the Preakness was Excellent Meeting in 1999. Four fillies have won the Preakness, the last being Nellie Morse in 1924.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Rather amazing that Rachel is listed @ 8/5, then it jumps all the way up to 5/1 for second-choice Pioneerof the Nile. Hard to believe the race will be bet like that; i can't see the second-choice anwhere near that high.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    potn will probably go off at 3-1, 5/2...I think mine that bird will be at 8-1 or higher....
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    her off odds will be 6/5....
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    I am going to be betting big on her ... I need to make up what I lost in the Derby. She beats this field with no problem. MM and Big Drama fight it out for 2nd.