Post-race quotes from the Preakness

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Pimlico:

Preakness Stakes Quotes

Steve Asmussen, winning trainer, Rachel Alexandra – “What an amazing 10 days this has been. I can’t tell you what a fan of the filly I’ve been. They (the filly’s former connections) did a great job with her. Mr. Jackson has been rewarded in his faith with her. I am very blessed.”

Calvin Borel, winning jockey, Rachel Alexandra -- “She struggled a lot (with the track) She’s so used to that track at Churchill. She just skips along. She was struggling at the end. It’s such a narrow track, she was pricking her ears. I had to get into her a little bit. The first quarter was good, then, we picked it up. The more I asked her the more she struggled. She’d never been hit before. I knew (Mine that Bird) was coming. It’s going to take a racehorse to beat her. She’s the greatest racehorse I’ve been on in my life. She did not handle the track 110 percent.”

Chip Woolley, trainer, Mine That Bird, 2nd – “I’m thrilled to death with the race my little horse ran. Everything was going according to Hoyle, until the turn when he was fanned a little wide. I thought we had a chance at the eighth-pole. But you have to give that filly credit. She’s a great one. The Belmont is next for us.”

Mike Smith, jockey, Mine That Bird, 2nd – “He’s a tough little dude. He worked his way through there and kept on trying. If we could have gone another sixteenth of a mile, I think he would have tackled her. On the backstretch, I tried to duck back in, but there was a lot of traffic. I had to do what I had to do. Honestly, he’s one of the best I’ve been on. He’s very balanced. (Rachel Alexandra) beat the greatest colts in the country today. You have to take your hat off to her. I thought she’d come back to me, but she kept on going.”

Derek Ryan, trainer, Musket Man, 3rd – “I saw (Rachel Alexandra) breezing at Churchill before the Oaks and I knew she was a super star. My horse ran well, but we got beat by a great one. She’s a filly for the ages.”

Eibar Coa, jockey, Musket Man, 3rd – “No complaints at all. I had a good trip, except at one point at the five-sixteenths-pole. I had to stop riding for three jumps. I think that cost me second place.”

D. Wayne Lukas, trainer, Flying Private, 4th – “Flying Private ran a hell of a race. He really ran well. We went from 19th in the Derby to 4th in the Preakness. I’m happy. He liked the track a little bit better and he came running. I think we’ll see if he’s fine and go onto the Belmont, which has been our goal since Day One.”

Alan Garcia, jockey, Flying Private, 4th – “I got a good trip. At the 3/8ths pole he leveled off a bit and just got tired. I honestly don’t know what happened to him today, because he’s usually a very good horse.”

David Fawkes, trainer, Big Drama, 5th – “John (Velazquez) did the best he could. The filly was just super. The race unfolded as I figured it was going to and I was happy that we had a clean trip. We were simply beaten by a super filly.”

John Velazquez, jockey, Big Drama, 5th – “We broke OK after that we stumbled, then, he ran off with me. He never really relaxed. I was up there with the filly, but after he flipped in the gate, stumbled and ran off with me, he still ran a good race, but had nothing left in the end.”

Gary Stute, trainer, Papa Clem, 6th – “I’m pretty disappointed. I didn’t see any excuses for him. He was in perfect position and just came up a little empty in the lane, but Rafael rode him perfect. She’s pretty super right now, I’ll tell you that. Mine that Bird ran a big race, too. You’ve got to give him a lot of credit.”

Rafael Bejarano, jockey, Papa Clem, 6th – “I can hardly complain. We had a perfect trip on the rail. I was on the rail saving ground. When we got to the stretch, my colt gave me a big run. I thought we were going to get second for sure, but we didn’t. I knew she (Rachel Alexandra) was going to win, but she was great. They went so fast early, but she was still going at the end.”

Al Stall Jr., trainer, Terrain, 7th – “I thought with the quick early pace we might be able to make a good run at it. But there was no catching Rachel Alexandra. She ran great. I’m not sure where our race is going to be.”

Jeremy Rose, jockey, Terrain, 7th – “He’s a runner. It’s one of those races I’d like to get back again. The trip was beautiful to the quarter pole. I tried to split horses. (The hole) closed and came back. I had at least the second best horse here. It might have been a real horse race if I got through.”

D. Wayne Lukas, trainer, Luv Gov, 8th – “He came closing. I thought he was pretty good.”

Jamie Theriot, jockey, Luv Gov, 8th – “When he finally found his stride, we made a run with him. He came running. Down the lane he gave all he had. He was a little more underneath me when I got behind horses. Distance is not a problem for him.”

Tom McCarthy, trainer, General Quarters, 9th – “Oh yes, I’m just a little disappointed. It was an awful good race. I just think (the jockey) might have had him a little too far forward at the beginning. It took a lot out of him to stay up there. But you have to tip your hat to (Rachel Alexandra). She’s really something special.”

Julien Leparoux, jockey, General Quarters, 9th – “We were right where we wanted to be early. I sat behind the horses that I thought I could make a move around. At the three-eighths pole, I came around perfectly, but my horse just got tired.”

Larry Jones, trainer, Friesan Fire, 10th – “This was better than the last race, though I couldn’t count all the horses behind him as quick. While we didn’t find the winner’s circle, I have nothing to complain about. Life is still good. The horse and I are still in good spirits and I think good health. My congratulations to the top finishers.”

Gabriel Saez, jockey, Friesan Fire, 10th – “He ran a good race. I was behind the filly the whole time. I was right behind the pace and I crossed my rein and he hung. He stopped a little, but he was feeling great. His foot is no problem.”

Bob Baffert, trainer, Pioneerof the Nile, 11th – “He never really was comfortable. He was having trouble with the turns. He didn’t run his race. I could tell he was in trouble. Usually, he grabs (the jockey) and takes him. He didn’t do it. He just didn’t give it to us today. We thought he would. Awesome, (Rachel Alexandra) is amazing. She took the heat and kept on going and the Derby winner is for real.”

Garret Gomez, jockey, Pioneerof the Nile, 11th – “I got a good break. My horse was never on the bridle today. He didn’t come close to the way he ran the other day.”

Bill Komlo, trainer, Tone It Down, 12th – “I think the horse came out of the race OK, that’s all I’ll know for a while.”

Kent Desormeaux, jockey, Tone It Down, 12th – “That filly is amazing. I’ve got nothing else to say today. We’ll see her at the next stop.”

Todd Pletcher, trainer, Take the Points, 13th – “We got packed out wide a little bit the first turn and had a little bit of bumping with Pioneerof the Nile in front of us. Then, we kind of ran out of horse around the half-mile pole. Rachel Alexandra was great. She took it right to them, led every step of the way. She deserves a lot of credit.”

Edgar Prado, jockey, Take the Points, 13th – “I thought he would run a lot better today. I was in perfect position, but at the three-eighths (pole) we didn’t have anything left.”

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Sounds like a lot of people saw greatness today.