Hollywood Park moves to a 4-day race week, effective immediately

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from LA Times:

Hollywood Park will switch from a five-day to a four-day racing week effective immediately, with no racing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, under a plan approved Friday by the California Horse Racing Board. Live racing will be conducted Thursdays through Sundays with the exception of a special Memorial Day program on Monday, May 25.

The track was put in the embarrassing position last month of having to cancel a Thursday race card because there were not enough horses for eight races.

"Due to the tough economy, the number of horses available to race has been reduced as evidenced by the entry box," track President Jack Liebau said.

The four-day race week is approved through June 14, and the CHRB will consider Hollywood Park's request to maintain the four-day week for the remainder of its meeting at a June 5 board meeting.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Cat......not That I Play Or Win On The Fix Six Circuit But Its Good For Those That Do Bet There Lets Face It Short Fields Kill Bettors As The Value Is Nill............the Late Bobby Umphrey Racing Secretary At Calder For Years And Personal Friend Of Mine Was The Originator Of Optional Claiming Races....the First Time He Put One On The Card I Said Bobby What The Hell Are You Doing Now,he Said I Need Horses To Fill The Books........the Trainers Can Work Them Out In Races With No Fear Of Having Them Claimed I Said That Just Great Bobby Now Another Thing To Handicap Is The Trainer Working His Horse Out Or What...is He Pointing Him For A Stake Coming Up Etc......they Dont Get The Over Saturation They Have Killed This Game From My House In A 100 Square Miles There Are 5 Tracks Running Right Now....philly,delaware,monmouth,pimlico,belmont,pennational...is That Enough Or What And 3 Trotter Tracks To.......
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    its a good move..I hate betting them 5 horse fields in the exotic wagers...it is smart for them to do this even though it kills one day it makes the rest of the week better.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    I agree. It also might lead to more races-per-day. When moving to a 4-day race week was first brought up by Hollywood, they also mentioned that they might stay with a 5-day race week, but have fewer races-per-day. So i think racing 4 days was probably the best way to go. And of course, there's always Belmont and Churchill to keep us busy on Wednesdays. I'm pretty excited about the 2yo's returning to Belmont; that'll be happening pretty soon.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    i think it's the best for them, it saved los alamitos 4 days of racing is enough...and they have
    1 more meet after this...dec 21 2009, old hollywood park will be gone...i will be there to say
    good-bye....hit my $62,000 pick 6 with my dad at the track of the lakes and flowers......
    have great memories....bill shoemaker signed my program 1 day, it was around race 5
    he had turned the pages in my program a few races over, and in race 8 he had written" exacta 3-1......
    both horses were trained by charlie whitingham, but pincay was on the 3 and shoe
    was on the 1......it came 3-1........yes i will miss hollywood park!!!!!