Mine That Bird's 2yo half-brother sells for $485,000

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Augusta Chronicle:

Dogwood Stable president Cot Campbell is betting that the half-brother of Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird will pay off next year.

The Aiken-based stable announced Monday that it had purchased the unnamed colt for $485,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale near Baltimore. The 2-year-old is a son of Yonaguska out of Mining My Own. Yonaguska is the sire of Musket Man, which finished third in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Mining My Own is the dam of Mine That Bird.

"He's a good-looking horse, I'm familiar with his background," Campbell said of the dark brown colt. "We'll send him to the races with confidence."

Mine That Bird was a 50-1 long shot who won the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago with a strong finish.

At the Preakness on Saturday, a fast-closing Mine That Bird finished second to filly Rachel Alexandra.

"Mine That Bird's terrific run in the Preakness shows that he is a strong candidate to win the Belmont," Campbell said. "He's legitimate. He's no fluke."

Campbell said the colt will be shipped to Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and will train under Todd Pletcher.

If all goes well, he could be a candidate for Triple Crown races in 2010.

The colt was purchased from Paul Saylor, who bought him for $100,000 at a breeders' sale in March, according to bloodhorse.com.

Dogwood hasn't entered a horse in one of the Triple Crown races since Limehouse placed fourth in the Kentucky Derby in 2004. Summer Squall won the 1990 Preakness for Dogwood.

Campbell said recent wins by Lime Rickey, Bricklayer and Atoned have put Dogwood back on track.

"It's gotten better. Last year was a little slow," he said. "We won a nice race with Lime Rickey (a turf allowance at Belmont Park), and he's been knocking at the door. We're excited now. Our hopes are high with the 2-year-old."