Braves -130

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Braves starter Kris Medlen makes his major league debut after dominating at the Triple A level, going 5-0 in 37.1 innings with a 1.19 era and a 44/10 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Should perform well here, particularly the first time or two through the order.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Here's an article from the Braves' website:

ATLANTA -- Kris Medlen isn't even the most well-known pitching prospect living in his apartment, yet when the Braves conclude their four-game series with the Rockies Thursday night, it will be Medlen taking the mound for his Major League debut and not roommate Tommy Hanson.

Medlen shares a Gwinnett County apartment with Hanson, who many thought would get the call to replace Jo-Jo Reyes in the Braves' rotation. But the small-statured Medlen's numbers at Triple-A Gwinnett were too astounding to ignore, earning him the right to take over Reyes' spot in the rotation.

"I'm excited and nervous at the same time," Medlen said. "It's really cool getting a chance to talk with these guys and I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to play with them [Thursday].

Medlen has been spectacular thus far in Gwinnett, posting some eye-opening numbers. He leads the team with a 1.19 ERA and a perfect 5-0 record. Over a four-game span between April 25 and May 11, he recorded 20 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings.

Hanson is having a fantastic season himself, but the Braves' front office was reluctant to call him up, knowing they may have to send him back down when Tom Glavine returns from the disabled list.

"I'm sure he's disappointed," Medlen said. "Everyone, including me, thought he would be the first one up as a starter. But we both deserve it. I was on the phone with my mom and he came over and congratulated me."

Medlen's arsenal is somewhat surprising considering his small frame, listed at 5-foot-10. His fastball sits in the low 90s, but he has the ability to touch 94 mph when he needs extra velocity. He also has an effective changeup and slider.

Since moving from the bullpen to a starting role early last season in Double-A Mississippi, he has been able to develop all of his pitches more thoroughly.

"Once I [became a] starter last year, it gave me a really good opportunity to throw all of my pitches," Medlen said. "This year, I've thrown a lot more changeups to righties and a lot more curveballs to lefties."

He has a believer in at least one of his new teammates. Center fielder Jordan Schafer played with Medlen last year in Mississippi and came away impressed.

"He's really good," Schafer said. "He goes right after hitters and he throws a lot of strikes. I love playing behind him. I love the way he pitches."

Medlen said his parents will be in attendance on Thursday to witness the debut after traveling from their home in Abilene, Texas. They'll be on hand to watch as their son realizes his childhood dream.

"It's a little more nerve-racking than I ever thought it would be," Medlen said. "It seemed a lot simpler when I was dreaming it up when I was five."

Of course, there will be adjustments for Medlen to make. For instance, he said that he reviewed a Rockies scouting report with bullpen catcher Alan Butts on Wednesday in preparation for his start. It was the first time he had ever reviewed a scouting report in his career.

He'll have plenty of time to worry about scouting reports and hitters' tendencies as time goes on. Schafer said he advised Medlen to simply enjoy his debut and make it memorable.

"I told him earlier to just have fun with it," Schafer said. "You only get one debut. Just go out there and have fun. If you do well or you do badly, just have as much fun as you can. After you get the first one out of the way, you can go from there and try to make adjustments."
    edited May 2009
    Medlen pitched okay for 3 innings, then came out for the 4th and simply couldn't find the plate. A single, two wild pitches, two walks, and then he hit the PITCHER with the bases loaded. That was it for Medlen. Then the relief pitcher comes in and gives up a grand slam. 6-0 Rockies right now.
    edited May 2009
    Coming back with Medlen tonight, albeit in a much more abbreviated format:

Will there be a run scored in the 1st inning?

Braves/Giants

No -125
    edited May 2009
    Coming back with Medlen tonight, albeit in a much more abbreviated format:

Will there be a run scored in the 1st inning?

Braves/Giants

No -125

Winner, 0-0.