Rachel Alexandra "iffy" for the Belmont

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the NY Post:

A dream rematch in the June 6 Belmont Stakes between the king and the queen of this year's Triple Crown is getting iffier by the day.

The decision on whether to run Rachel Alexandra back in the 1½-mile "Test of the Champion" off her historic victory in the Preakness will be made Monday, when the super filly is scheduled to breeze at Churchill Downs, owner Jess Jackson's spokesperson, Caroline Shaw, said yesterday.

If she doesn't go in the Belmont, that frees up jockey Calvin Borel to regain the mount on Kentucky Derby champ Mine That Bird. Mike Smith, who rode Mine That Bird to a fast-closing second in the Preakness, is committed to ride another horse on Belmont Day in a stakes race at Hollywood Park, and the Derby winner's trainer, Chip Woolley, set a Monday deadline for naming his Belmont rider.

"They will assess [Rachel Alexandra's Belmont status] after the workout," Shaw told The Post. "Hopefully, they won't ruin everyone's Memorial Day, but they could. We want to be respectful of Calvin Borel. That's probably driving the thought on our side."

A source at Churchill told The Post, "It they do decide to go [in the Belmont], it'll be [Jackson's] decision. She came out of the Preakness pretty knocked out. Steve [Asmussen, her trainer] wants no part of the Belmont. She'd be a classic bet-against."

Borel's agent, Jerry Hissam, said he hasn't heard one way or another whether Rachel Alexandra will run, and declined to say which horse he would prefer to ride. But he added, "I thank Mine That Bird's camp for waiting to make a decision."

Though Borel ditched Mine That Bird in the Preakness for Rachel Alexandra, Woolley said he would like Borel to ride the gelding in the Belmont.

"Sure, we'd love to have Calvin back," he said. "He won the Derby for us. Who wouldn't?"

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Win the Travers win the Breeders Cup and Cement yourself as the best 3 year old filly in history.
  • clockerqclockerq Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    I think its pretty clear she won'r run and thats a good thing. I agree Draynay that she should come back for the classic summer/fall campaign. I don't see her competing just against the boys from here on out. There's this horse named Zenyatta that she has to meet. If all goes to plan, the Ladies Classic might just be the best race of BC weekend.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Zenyatta will never catch RA in a million years. The best colts couldn't catch her there is NO REASON to believe she would do any better.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    Quailty Road Will Win The Travers And The Classic..and Be The Best 3yr Old Ever.. And Will Do It Blindfolded....and Ra Won't Catch Him In 2 Million Years .gee I Hope I Don't Sound Like A Jerk ..but I Been Going To The Track For 40 Years And This Horse Is The Real Think ............ I Heard They Already Put His Name On The Trophys........and Sent Him The Ck..........and .....and ....
  • POTN93POTN93 Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    hope she goes !
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Dunco you don't wear bitter very well.....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyone here (besides Draynay) who thinks Zenyatta couldn't have won the Preakness? I realize she wasn't eligible, but you know what i mean...
  • clockerqclockerq Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    NO!!!!!!
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Let Zenyatta show her stuff at Saratoga or Belmont or is she just a West Coast horse ? RA beat the best 3 year old horses in the country....lets see Zenyatta beat ANY colt.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    Draynay wrote: »
    Dunco you don't wear bitter very well.....

why would i be bitter because your dunkirk ran 12-13 and desert ran 15th.. gee I'm not bitter i just get sick every time you open your know it all mouth ...never anything positive..........you post your your quips to piss people off .i don't get pissed off because i know your game.. i'm sure tomorrow will all hear about Smooth Air...blah blah...
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    I guess to add wood to the fire... RA is a 3 year old and would get eaten up at this point by The Big Z. Zeyatta may be the best horse in the country right now. RA certainly can contest that down the road but has some maturing both mentally and physically right now to take the opinion poll on the best in the country. A few points to make on the matter, Look what RA has done at the very peak of her conditioning, Look what Z has done after a long layoff, just possibly beating one of the top 5 horses in the country, her stablemate which Zenyattas connections didnt want to do coming off the layoff but had to with her last scratch. Zenyatta has been regarded as possibly the best in the country for a year now. Even as a Philly, Ya cant be the Man, Untill Ya beat the Man and right now the Man is a Philly named Zenyatta
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Zenyatta crushed the reigning Breeders Cup Distaff winner @ Oaklawn last year.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Oaklawn ? So what ! Its not Saratoga or Belmont is it ? Zenyatta wants no part of east coast dirt and wants to stay in Cali and pad her record. She is getting an awful lot of praise for a horse that refuses to run against colts.
    No horse all year has come close to catching RA and Zenyatta will have no better luck. But I can see the plan for Zenyatta is to stay clear of any real racing until Breeders Cup. Champions race at Saratoga since she has no plans on going to Saratoga I have no plans on crowning her queen of anything but California.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited May 2009
    If I owned Rachel there is no way I run her in the Belmont. Could ruin here. The risk does not justify the reward. That being said, the actual owners just paid $10mill for her and there is probably a lot of temptation that none of us can imagine.

As for Zenyatta, was very impressed the way she won off a layoff. That was surprising.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Zenyatta looked good against very average competition. Let her face Music Note on Dirt.

10 million is nothing to a billionaire. She is an athlete and is born to run.... let her run !!! Money means little they are more concerned with making history !
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    RA's one race with competition they say she hasnt come out of it too well.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Zenyatta would run by her and RA will breakdown trying to keep up. That's how competertive she is. Dray come back down to earth girl, she's just not ready for Zenyatta yet. I quess Zenyatta has to put down Einstien before she gets her due Huh? She was the best horse in the country last year and she's better this year. Girl that is scary. So don't even try to put RA in her class yet.