Jockey/Trainer quotes from Zenyatta's win in the Milady Handicap

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Hollywood Park:

Jockey Quotes

MIKE SMITH, ZENYATTA, Winner: “Garrett (Gomez) and I were playing some serious jockey games out there. It was all clean and fair. She’s so handy that when I eased up on the pedal she backed up for me, came around and it was over. As far as Rachel Alexandra, she’s such a great filly and I don’t want to ruin what she did. But Zenyatta is Zenyatta. When the match comes up down the road, it’s going to be exciting for racing. I’m numb. I’m looking for some emotion now but I’m just numb. She’s just amazing. Physically, I think she’s better than she was last year.”

GARRETT GOMEZ, LIFE IS SWEET, Second: “Down the backstretch she wasn’t really taking me anywhere today. She picked it up down the lane and finished okay. I think she liked that track (at Santa Anita) better. It’s a little bit different here than Santa Anita. It’s a little bit more like solid dirt here. She’s more like a grass filly and this track is a little closer to dirt. Overall, it was a very respectable performance. What can you say about Zenyatta.”

Trainer Quotes

JOHN SHIRREFFS, ZENYATTA, Winner: “She is just special. Nine for nine, that streak is always in the back of your mind. We knew she had to start somewhere and that first race back you want to make it as easy as possible, but that wasn’t possible. We had to deal with Life Is Sweet and believe me, she is a great running filly. It rained over there in Kentucky so we did not do a lot with her, the last three days in Kentucky she was just walking. When she got home she was fresh. When you see her make her signature move you see it so often. She has a devastating move — she covers so much ground and gets rolling. She has that ability to lengthen her stride. I couldn’t have imagined it working out any better for Zenyatta to come back against a tough horse like Life Is Sweet. This puts her right back where she was at the end of last year.”

NOTE: The win was the tenth straight for Zenyatta, also winner of the 2008 Milady.